Tomplay anyone?

Does anyone use Tomplay for backing tracks/sheet music? I confess I’d never heard of it but it’s just popped up on my Facebook feed and piqued my curiosity

4 Likes

no, but now i have something else to do :laughing:

1 Like

I use Go Play Along 4. You can download the music from Ultimate Guitar tabs and then add the mp3 of the song and the program syncs them together. I might check out Tomplay tho too. I’ve never heard of it.

2 Likes

So I checked out Tomplay, signed up for the free trial, but the selection of songs is seriously lacking, and for $170/year (CAD) it’s not worth it. The one thing that IS cool is that there are different levels for some of the songs so the beginner/easy levels are just that and then you can change the level to intermediate or whatever, but its still a very pricy site with not enough song selection. But that’s just my two cents.

2 Likes

I’ve just a closer look at it Retta and I think I have to agree with you. I counted up the bass songs (because I’m sad like that) and there about 120 songs over a wide range of styles and genres so most players probably wouldn’t be interested in at least half of them. There are 124 pages of piano music though (as opposed to 16 pages for bass) so it’s clear where their focus lies. Predictably there are far more songs for guitar as well but I guess most of us are us are used to slimmer pickings for bass.

A note on the pricing though. It seems the UK might be cheaper than the Canada, which is unusual. The annual price for UK is £87.99 which works out at $152 CAD but that might just be because there is an offer on. A far better approach would be the £8.99 monthly subscription because I doubt there is a full years worth of songs for most people.

2 Likes

It looks to me like just another way to toss $10 a month. Hard pass for me.

2 Likes

Pam, I think if you could find half a dozen songs you wanted to learn it would be worth a month’s subscription (or even just the fourteen-day free trial :smile:) but it’s hardly a long term proposition. Now if something like that existed with an extensive catalogue for bass…

2 Likes

Have you seen any of the sheets? I’m mildly curious is it’s really sheet music, or if it’s just tab.

1 Like

Yes Pam, it’s proper notation and tab. I think that may be the one strengths of the site, in that the sheet music will be correct because a lot of their subscribers will be orchestral players who read

3 Likes