Tone Difference When Plucking?

I am fairly new at playing the Bass, (although I have been playing lead guitar for over 50 years) So working on two finger plucking technique, I have noticed that when I pluck with my Index Finger I get a much deeper tone than when I use the Middle finger. It seems that I get a much brighter tone using the middle finger. I am using the proper plucking technique by pulling across the string as opposed to pulling in upward motion. Also, I keep my fingernails trimmed as far back as I can (Hate Long Fingernails!!) So, any ideas as to why the tonal changes between the two fingers???
Thx for any ideas or suggestions

3 Likes

Welcome, @4stringman52.

I believe the answer is in your first sentence: you’re new to fingerstyle bass playing.

It is common for bass beginners to notice a difference in attack/volume/tone of their plucking fingers. Many also find they prefer/have a tendency to play a line starting with either the index or middle finger. Mileage varies, but some consternation about sound differences is all too common at first.

The cure is simple: practice. It takes mindful work to develop an even tone and volume when plucking a bass. But the good news is it always comes with time.

7 Likes

I would keep doing as you are. The first step to this, and many things, is awareness. Over time I think this will work itself out.

Not a lot of help but practice practice practice

2 Likes

Ari Cap, a very good internet bass teacher, noticed this with her playing. She suggests angling your two fingers as if they are slightly pointing to the rear of the bas while plucking. She said the uneven tone can get tamed that way. I tried it and it is relatively easy to do, you just have to not allow your fingers to scooch back into the straight up and down position in relation to the fretboard.

3 Likes

Likely what’s happening is your index finger is gripping the string more with the pad of the finger, while the middle finger is striking more towards the tip. Try to get both fingers to contact the string at the same part of the finger and see if that makes a difference

2 Likes

Not to get all scientific sounding, but some of the tonal difference comes from the way the hand is designed. Some fingers are naturally stronger than others and therefore flex (in response to resistance) differently which creates tonal differences. Everyone has to figure out what works well for their hand and sounds “good enough” to their ears. Think about it, you use your index fingers for things with a “strong touch” and for things that involve “pressing.” The middle finger is way better at brute strength pulling things because it has the most leverage when you grasp things and pick them up. Add to this weird formula that the first finger is closer to the neck than the middle finger, you’ll always get a slightly warmer (deeper) tone from it because you’d have to move the middle finger to the same spot on the string to really begin to compare. But that middle finger is made for picking things up… Wait until you try to add the ring finger and pinky finger in the mix. That’s where things get crazy. lol. you CAN do this!

3 Likes

Generally, the index finger has significantly more experience picking things :laughing:

2 Likes

The middle finger has more experience shooting things.

2 Likes

Pop down to your local arcade and play the classic Track and Field game to even out your fingers!

2 Likes

:thinking: :smirk: :grin: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Its an experience thing. I’m big on thumb technique. Just last night I made a few modifications, and got some much nicer tones out of it. Little adjustments go a long way. I’m sure you’ll figure out how to make your plucking consistent; but you’ll also have the benefit of being able to emphasize notes when you want to.

I think they don’t necessarily have to sound the exact same anyway. After all, every bassist has a unique sound. Maybe this is yours. I do sometimes use a different pattern, sometimes starting with the index and sometimes with the middle. Gives a bit of extra rhythm.

If you want the exact same sound with every note, and the picking isn’t too fast, just use one finger!

1 Like

I think everyone here has covered just about every angle of this, but I wanted to throw 2 cents worth into the mix.

I agree with most people that there is a very natural amount of variation in the sounds from each finger.
If you continue practicing and playing and this doesn’t improve over the next 1-2 months, then I would suggest making some videos of your playing - where I could hear the bass and see your plucking hand - and then we could try for a more specific diagnosis.

With the given info, this seems like you have very demanding ears, but your body hasn’t learned the technique well enough yet to satisfy what you’re hoping to hear.

I think it will balance in time.
Please keep us posted either way!

4 Likes