Tools for Bass!

Yeah, that little .050 hex is a lifesaver for a Badass bridge

2 Likes

Be nice, this is my accent!!! :rofl: (I was both self-consciously mortified and in awe the first time I saw TPB!)

2 Likes

Honestly? Just go with the tools you already have for the most part. Allen wrenches and screwdrivers are 90% of what you need, along with a ruler and optionally a capo.

Only buy the specialty tools and screwdrivers when you actually need them. They are expensive and only offer an advantage when you need to use them. These include things like fret files and rockers - they are pretty much required for fret work.

I would strongly recommend against buying nut files. They are very expensive, you’ll use them very rarely (if ever), and a normal $5 set of small diamond files work just as well.

Feeler guages are extremely optional. I don’t find them useful. It’s actually easier and better for me to go by touch and feel for the cases you would use them. No loss at all to not buy them.

4 Likes

Diff’rent strokes for diff’rent tools folks

2 Likes

A combination tool ruler/fret rocker is actually a pretty good investment, for the simple reason that most household rulers do not start at the edge and you definitely want that. Also, eventually you will probably find a fret rocker useful (though it took me a few years to get there). Something like this:

2 Likes

Emory boards work in a pinch

3 Likes

Yeah. Due to the cost, ease of replacement by normal tools, and how infrequently you need them, nut files stand out as probably the least effective use of money for tools.

I don’t use feeler guages at all myself but at least they are cheap.

2 Likes

Until you buy a couple dozen used basses, then they start to come in very very handy.
lol

5 Likes

Thanks! Only planning to buy a string winder for the time being, but I was curious about everything else in the kits.

4 Likes

The vast majority of my tools are for sax repairs, and a bunch double as good for bass. But saxes are a lot more tool needy for sure. Soldering iron and helping hands not shown.

3 Likes

I like this one. it’s easy to use. I bought the plus version as well but its not as good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBPowerPeg--ernie-ball-powerpeg-motorized-peg-winder

1 Like

@cg_postbunk if you’re interested in working on your own bass then this guy is a good place to start. He’s a guitar tech, guitar nerd, really nice guy and has a ton of ‘how to’ videos.

Here he sets up a guitar, using tools from the dollar store !

3 Likes

If I were a luthier that filed like 10 nuts a week I might want them just because of convenience, yeah.

Though normal files work well enough that I’m not sure how much added convenience there is.

I’ve also only rarely run in to cases where only one string was high. Usually it’s all, in which case sanding the bottom is a much better plan. The only exception there was going BEAD, where I needed to widen all of them but only make two deeper. Still, even then, normal files were fine.

Right now I am mostly amazed that you have amassed 30 gig bags though. That’s awesome :slight_smile:

Do you keep them when you sell?

1 Like

Nope. I give one when I sell one.

A lot are sax cases too.
Current sax count is 18.
Vintage cases (not good for transportation) and modern for actually taking them somewhere.

Next time I have to clear it out for the HVAC guy I’ll take a pic and full count.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen that one before. It’s almost cute!

1 Like

Hello, all. Need to tighten output, MiM 2015-J-V. This MM spanner says it tightens round knobs. I’ve got a loose hex-shape. If I get this, what kind of other tool do I need to torque the shaft w/ my other hand? I’d like a tool that also works on my early '80s Bullet and my MiM 1995 (BTW Jack the Gripper tool–is this pricy gizmo necessary for the screwing in part of the operation?)

1 Like

@DrJLMurphy this is cheaper.

Or if possible unscrew the whole jack and tighten it with no special tool.

2 Likes

I had some spare points after buying my bass so just ordered an Octopus:

It’s basically free so why not.

2 Likes

It’s a good tool but be gentle with the nut wrenches. Very soft plastic.

2 Likes

yeah pretty visibly obvious even, mostly I wanted an all in one driver and figured why get a perfectly good one for $10 when I can spend double that on a musicnomad - but get it free :slight_smile:

3 Likes