Top 10 Rock Bass of 2023

Rock bass in 2023 - innovators or imitators? Check out 10 of the headbangingest bass lines and see what you think.

Best of Rock Bass
Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/@BassBuzz/videos

All the bass tabs:

Spotify playlist: (plus some other good 2023 stuff that didn’t make the video)

I was surprised by some of the bands that ended up on this list, from old favorites like Metallica, Foo Fighters and Royal Blood, to some new names like The Warning and Måneskin.

What was your favorite bass line this year, rock or otherwise?

10 Likes

Don’t laugh! But this one …
Miley Cyrus - Flowers (Official Video) - YouTube

4 Likes

Who’s laughing? Not me, it’s a great song but pop I think.

6 Likes

Edited: Great song. And Josh said rock or otherwise. I like the way the bass drives the song.

4 Likes

Hey, you like what you like. Nobody’s judging, and please don’t ever feel the need to get defensive about it :+1:t3:

@JoshFossgreen thanks for the shout out to Nate Mendel, one of my favorite bass players, for exactly the reason you mentioned.

1 Like

Just a note that Vic got that great bass tone on Baby Said on a Danelectro Longhorn shortscale. I love that tone, and that the bass drives the song. Simple works

1 Like

The Longhorn is a great sounding, great playing, very lightweight bass with a killer neck. :+1:

Loved mine. Wish I still had it.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with good pop :slight_smile:

And no one will laugh at anyone in this thread, unless they say they are done buying basses or something.

4 Likes

Exactly it’s all good. Even The Eagles.

2 Likes

I have a very varied taste in all kinds of music. And I really like Miley!

1 Like

Barney immediately proves me wrong

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I was psyched to see QOTSA on here! That song grooves. Also a big fan of the lo-hi-lo thing.

1 Like

These kinds of videos are a bit of a double edge sword for me: on one hand, I get to discover new music and such. On the other hand, some of these bands fall hard into the “____ band is fantastic! How in the blue hell have I not heard of them up until now?!?!” category where I feel old and out of touch.

Joking aside, I love this kind of positive video. Great job, @JoshFossgreen!!!

4 Likes

Love the video and it only shows that I am far removed from the current “Rock” band scene since I only heard of a couple of them!

@JoshFossgreen would you consider doing a collection of Blues songs? I know a lot of folks find the bass lines for the blues boring but I for one love playing the blues with other musicians and would love to learn some new tips and tricks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes