Top 30 Most Iconic Bass Riffs

Need some bass inspiration? Take this megadose of iconic bass riffs, played chronologically from Cream to Led Zeppelin to Gorillaz.

https://youtu.be/XP5Fr_ugxPY

Iconic Riffs Spotify

Here's a Spotify playlist of all 30 songs, in order:

Sheet Music + Bass Tab

Want to play along? Here’s sheet music and bass tabs for every iconic bass riff:

If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course, a lot of these bass riffs will be super playable by Module 6 or so. And some of them won’t be… don’t come crying when you have a Schism headache. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope this video pumps some bass inspiration into your tank!

What riffs would you add to this list that I missed?

30 Likes

Happy to see Joy Division in there :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Outstanding “Ice Ice baby” lol

9 Likes

This is gold. GOLD I say!!

10 Likes

Chuck Rainey on Peg with Steely Dan seems an oversight, as does something with Carol Kaye

4 Likes

An honourable mention would be “Toto - Hold the line”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What, no “Hey Bulldog” by McCartney?? :wink:

5 Likes

Yet more great stuff! But i think we missed one. Is there a better word than “iconic” for the one and only “stuck in the middle with you” by stealer’s wheel? If there is, i haven’t found it.

3 Likes

I think the list is perfect. It’s all about iconic bass riffs, not iconic players or songs. Each one of those that Josh played is, in my opinion, an iconic bass riff.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary, etc., etc., etc.

7 Likes

I think the list is a very good start, but it could always be better by adding many other equally iconic bass lines.

2 Likes

People on youtube commenting about the amazing tone from the Squier… but nobody asking where that non stock control plate with the stacked knobs and switches came from…

4 Likes

Funk in general, annnnnnd:

13 Likes

Holy crap do I love that song. Bootsy Collins, Q-Tip, catchy lines, it’s got it all. :slight_smile:

5 Likes
9 Likes

That’s just a good piece of music right there

2 Likes

Loved that show. Abe Vigoda and Jack Soo playing comedy. Aw, hell yeah.

And speaking of baking,…

1 Like

I think this would be on the bubble of making the cut, but worth a mention.
Level 42 - Lessons in Love

1 Like

This is so cool! Thanks! The Spotify list to go with it…

I think what you are seeing was stock: Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

So, you’re totally ignoring the three stacked knobs and two switches that exist on the control plate of the bass Josh is playing and just going by matching colours in that link?