Travel bass practice board?

@JerryP
I just realized your Traveler is 32", and my Ultra-light is 30".
I do have one 32" which is ‘med scale’ which does not bother me a bit to play.
On the hunt for a used version of yours, have a line here awaiting reply.
Live and learn.

2 Likes

I happened to get mine used from GC in Manhattan. $450.

1 Like

$315 (no gig bag), picking up Saturday.
Gig bag adds $60, still a good deal.

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

There’s always the Zo.

Short scale, built-in amp/speaker and headphone jack, and adorable - who wouldn’t love a bass shaped like a baby elephant?

Maybe hard to find in the US though.

7 Likes

kawaii

2 Likes

So I re-looked at the pictures of this bass and saw the little strap at the head was missing. Not a big deal but thought…hmm, maybe I will keep looking. So I told the guy I would pass and he dropped to $250! Picking it up tomorrow. Boom. So $310 all in, not bad at all.

3 Likes

@JerryP I’m off on holiday for a week and packed up my short scale, plus ZoomB1 and headphones. It all fits easily into a padded gig bag.

However I’d be interested in your thoughts (unless you’ve already done this and can point me in the right direction) on the traveller vs a “regular” bass.

I like the built in amp so just plug in headphones and go idea.

3 Likes

My thoughts would be this:
It is a 32" scale so it’s a bit smaller than a full size. I have no difficulty playing it compared to a full scale. Mine has Duncan designed pickups which sound great and I have covers posted using the TB-4P. The built-in headphone amp has a Aux In jack for playing along with backing tracks. The gig bag is well worth it as it is very well padded with extra room for accessories.
The only thing I would recommend is to tune it, use a string winding tool to turn the keys. The access hole around each tuning key is a bit small for my fingers so I carry with me a winder and use it to tune. It makes things much easier. I take the TB-4P with me every time I fly somewhere.

2 Likes

@JerryP thanks for the reply. That’s a sweet looking travel bass.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for posting such great advice! This is a fantastic forum and I’m thankful to be a part of it! Just starting module 3, I have much to learn but am thrilled to have this resource of kind and helpful people! Have a wonderful day!

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of the U Bass.
I just got a new one, and it sounds great - and it sounds great acoustically.

The down side is that because it’s an acoustic instrument, it’s more fragile.
It’s VERY different, but I can still play bass when I travel, and it sounds lovely.

2 Likes

These are insanely good sounding amped.

Enjoy it!

2 Likes

Agree with @gio and @John_E about the U-Bass. I wanted one but ended up going with this acoustic bass for travel. Added an aftermarket thumb rest I found on Reverb but it works great.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TRRCBME--traveler-guitar-redlands-concert-acoustic-electric-bass-natural-mahogany

Took it on vacation recently and it is light and travels well. With the acoustic, no need to bring headphones, headphone amp, etc.

3 Likes

Any thoughts on the Hofner Shorty bass for travel?

Hofner Shorty Bass Unboxing and Review- A true travelers’ companion? - LowEndLobster Review - Bing video

1 Like

I am a big fan of THIS U Bass, sadly long gone before I started playing. :sob:

2 Likes

Well I picked this guy up today for $250 and it’s in mint condition. Another $60 for the gig bag for travel and I’m in for a lot less than new plus tax.

Setting it up now but some noodling I can say it is light years better than the Ultra-Light. Scale is longer, and the solidness of the body makes up for no headstock. The electronics are far superior too.

I think the ultra-light is well, just too light.

Looking forward to traveling with this guy now.

@JerryP y , does the headphone amp on yours have quite a hiss? This one does.

4 Likes

Two things:
A. That’s a great deal
B. Fourteen :joy:

2 Likes

C. Who wants to buy an ultra-light? Going up for sale tonight

1 Like

This is the first time watching one of these Lobster reviews. Is this guy always this (annoying, obnoxious, unfunny - pick one)?

4 Likes