Travel bass practice board?

Hi I’m 2 weeks in on learning the bass and flying on vacation on Friday and don’t want to stop my streak! I just started the course this weekend and am hoping someone can suggest a travel board so I can keep practicing daily…I see 6 string ones online but not 4, can you help? Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

My advice is not to bother with those small fretboards, they will do more harm than good. Instead why not take the time to work on theory, etc?

I tried a ‘travel bass’, which is a short scale during my vacation this summer and it messed me up but good.

Alternatively, you could look for a rental from a local shop where you will be staying.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!!

3 Likes

Life was busy and I didn’t play for 4 or 5 days. When I picked up the bass yesterday I played better than ever. Sometimes a little downtime is the ticket to let the brain catch up with all you’ve been feeding it.

11 Likes

True.

4 Likes

I feel obligated to mention the existence of this:

HOWEVER, I would not buy one. I think they are very pricey and I question the use of ‘playing’ a fretboard with absolutely no audio feedback.

If you have internet access on the flight, you can work on some ear training:

If you intend to fly/travel often I think the traveler bass is pretty decent for what it is.

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight!

2 Likes

I travel extensively for my work and I always take my Traveler Bass. @John_E is correct in that it is a shorter scale than 34" but for me, it absolutely helps to keep my game up as far as playing/practicing. I will be taking it with me this Saturday as I leave on an almost three month work project.
Depending on the amount of traveling you do, it may not be worth the investment, so it’s up to you. I hope this helps rather than confuses you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks! I do travel often. Which one do you recommend? Is it the shre
dneck above?

2 Likes

This one:

I also have one and while I have nitpicks with it I think the tradeoffs are fair given the ease of transport and that it does enable you to play when not at home.

3 Likes

This is the one I have and am selling.
If I were to do it again I would buy the one @JerryP has which is this…

Why, for the pickups/electronics alone.
The piezo in the ultralight makes the sound horrible.
I used my Zoom B1Four to correct but still not great.

If you don’t mind the piezo, then the ultralight is a good path, but the feel of it in my hands and short scale and headless design threw me off way too much.
You can find B-stock on traveler for cheaper sometimes.

If you are intersted in the ultralight, I will sell you mine @beth, used once, for a great price (if you are in US).

2 Likes

Wondering…what’s the difference between a TB-4P and any headless bass, i.e. Steinberger, Ibanez etc.?

2 Likes

Not sure as I have not tried others, but for sure can say this is a short scale and VERY light.
The ‘ultra-light’ being even lighter.
The overall lightness, the short scale, and the missing headstock all added to confusion when playing. The instrument does not react to your playing the same, moves alot more, etc. I missed the added heft of the headstock (maybe I could hang something from it?) to control fretboard movement a bit. Was a bit like trying to play one of those rediculous inflatable guitars people pass out at weddings and pretend are fun.

2 Likes

How about a Ubass (ukelele bass). They are tuned the same as a regular bass and some people around here have them.

1 Like

A Ubass has a 20" scale; seems like an adhjustment to move between

1 Like

Great for playing it, bad for practice as @Wombat-metal says.
Love mine for the thump it makes but would not want to be learning on it for any perior of time.

1 Like

I don’t know about the Steinberger or the Ibanez headless, but if you are traveling by plane, the TB-4P fits in an over head storage bin and it has a built in headphone amp as well as a standard 1/4" jack if you want to plug it in.
If you want to hear the TB-4P in action go to my User Video Index @JerryP - User Video Index
and starting with “Last Train To Clarksville” up to “Crazy” were done with the TB-4P. I was on a three month travel earlier this year.

1 Like

Ah! This.

The ultralight requires an in-between accessory like a Vox amplug or NuX MP-2 unless you want to use the abomina-- I mean stethoscope. :laughing: And the TP-4P still fits in an overhead bin? Nice.

4 Likes

Yes it does!

1 Like

I did not do my research well when I bought the ultralight, i just wanted smallest and figured i could deal.
Now the “Jerry” model seems more appealing.

2 Likes