Travis The Padre Reed Practice Log

Forget the 16th notes for now… not important yet!!

Solid quarter and 8th notes will get you a long way!

And not to interfere with you conversation with @PamPurrs, but if you play on the 4th fret and then go down one string (lower string) staying on the same fret, you have found the fifth (interval), only below the root (that is also what Pam had written). I don’t remember the Johnny Cash lesson, but that move (root and fifth below, both on the same fret) is a “classic” country music bass move :smile:

EDIT: ah, OK, didn’t see your last reply… was typing mine…

2 Likes

This thread is a practice journal on it’s own merit! I like the idea

3 Likes

@joergkutter totally agree

Just finished watching the first 10min again and I am so lame. I say that because Mr Brown instructed us to play quarter notes on the first and third beat. No Worries I Thought. I was early or late and struggled to keep tempo. Talk about a knucklehead. The 16th notes are far from my radar now.

Again, really appreciate this link!! Will practice Module 11 tomorrow and then watch the link again. Lets hope for improvements. No matter how micro.

Be Well,
Cheers

2 Likes

Right On @gcancella

My intention was to open a format / topic for us all to discuss where we are in the course, speak freely about concerns we are experiencing, and allow examples or clarifications to flow like a crystal clear river of knowledge.

I am so pleased you appreciate the idea, hope this is helpful, and feel free to speak your truth. Its been rather beneficial for me and hope others are able to digestion these interjections as we move along.

Be Well,
Cheers

4 Likes

Having fun practicing a classic Bossa Nova medium workout today. You will find this exercise in Module 11 Lesson 2. Stretch those fingers and properly warm up before attempting this little gem.

Happy Friday,
Cheers

1 Like

@travis.thepadre.reed you mean “Song for my father” by Horace Silver, right? I did that lesson today as well. Had so much fun I just couldn’t stop playing it!

1 Like

Yes @Mike_NL 100%

What a trip that you were also just playing this little number. I had a blast with it and how did you fare? What will you tackle tomorrow?? Thanx so much for letting me know.

Stay Strong,
Cheers

Well, in my own, expert opinion :crazy_face: I didn’t do too bad, although the fast workout still needs some work. I’ll probably have another go tomorrow, just for the fun of it!

1 Like

Simple Bass Blues Groove

How cool is this:

{ E { E { E { E {

{ A { A { E { E {

{ B { A { E { B {

Such a cool pattern to play anywhere on the neck and dig the 12 bar pattern as well. You can find Josh’s video under Course Extras. The real challenge for me was starting on a root note with my pinky. Excellent Practice For Me

Be Well,
Cheers

1 Like

@travis.thepadre.reed I tried to play along to the full song last weekend and didn’t do too bad, if I do say so myself. Great fun, highly recommended!
https://youtu.be/CWeXOm49kE0

3 Likes

Nicely done @Mike_NL

1 Like

Just to clarify @PamPurrs: that’s not me you hear playing; that’s just the original recording :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, my bad. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

@PamPurrs & @Mike_NL,

Cracks me up how I felt pretty good with the medium workout and then this video handed me my A$$.

Really enjoy the soft bass around 2-3min mark of the video. The keys are pronounced and that bass is notable but don’t dominating.

For me, a couple of times, had to just stop my playing. Its most likely that I was trying too much. Trying to count, hit clean notes, tune out the busy sax, and struggled to keep tempo with the band. Felt better after just starting a simple pattern on my own merit.

Really Appreciated The Link,
Cheers

Hehe, no worries :wink: I only wish I could play it that well… Unfortunately I don’t own any recording equipment, so I can’t share what it sounds like when I play it… Although, that might be a good thing :crazy_face:

Yeah, I hear you :grin: This is one of those lessons where the gap between the medium and the full tempo workout is actually quite big. While playing along to the recording, I lost track at one point and started playing the B part where I should have repeated the A part… Took me a couple of bars before I realized I was playing something else entirely :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Keep at it, you’re going to get there! And compared to the next lesson, this one is easy :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Update: Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag is now officially the next Thing I Am Struggling With. I just keep making the same mistakes… Spent about half an hour practicing at the Slow tempo, and eventually managed to play it kinda okay-ish. Thought I’d give the Medium tempo a try, and whaddaya know: I still make the same mistakes. Only faster.

I’m starting to divide music into two categories… 1: Music That I Can Play. That’s great music. And 2: Music That I Cannot Play. That music sucks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Right On @Mike_NL !!

Will dive deep and pull up that lesson

Dig the two different categories for sure

Today, I practiced the Funk Box from the Josh Man YT video

Stay Strong,
Cheers

@joergkutter @Mike_NL @PamPurrs @itsratso

Mr Brown came up on my YT algorithm. Its part two and so difficult but addictive!!

Be Well,
Cheers

5 Likes

Too Funny, Went For It Tonight

Don’t Stop Believin’ - Journey

Be Well,
Cheers

1 Like

Today Was A Good Day

Took a little trip down memory lane and visited Module 7 Lesson 1-4 Wild Free Jazz Exploration

I’m still sloppy but enjoying myself
Cheers

1 Like