Triplets?

My finger speed is okay. Do you guys have any suggestions on getting the triplet rhythm without your fingers running over each other while alternate plucking? I’m specifically having problems with the easiest bass line ever, the intro to “Under Pressure”. I know it was picked but thought I could nail it plucking, but I can’t so far. My finger speed isn’t fast enough for that fast part towards the end. Practice, practice and more practice?

3 Likes

Take a look at this video.

1 Like

When you first look at triplets, the inclination is to say ‘oh no, I have to play fast’.
Triplets are not about fast, 1/16th notes are fast. Triplets are about feel and a different note spacing.
I always struggled with the spacing of these and all the explinations until I just told myself to play a little slower an a hold each note a little longer than my brain thinks I should.

That said, to best understand the feel of triplets, isolate them next to a bar before and after, and SLOOOOOOOOOOW the whole thing down until it is painfully easy.
Then, inch up in very small increments 2 or 4 bpm at most and nail each speed, even if still easy.
When it starts gettting hard, only inch up by 2 bpm.
Your brain and fingers will take the triplet feel with you on the ramp up, but only if you ramp up slowly.
Over time you will get the feel and it wil be natural, but it does take some folks time to do this.

1 Like

To get the feel of triplets: you can try konnakol to see if that helps. Say ta-ki-ta over and over again (one ta-ki-ta for each quarter note), and that should help you align your plucking to the beat.

Regarding the speed issues, I’d love to hear any success stories from anyone. I’ve been stuck at the same tempo for months now, and no exercises have really made a difference.

2 Likes

I have overall speed limiting issues right now too.
Between that and fretting hand muting control not going as needed I’ve found a local guy for lessons (zoom for now due to delta) to help out.
Made a list of things I’m not finding good online resources for and will work them with the live instructor (that’s the plan anyway)

1 Like

I try sweep picking bass.
I fail.
I cri.
I cri a lot.
I repeat.

1 Like

Me too @John_E .
I’ve also tried to improve my speed by plucking with three fingers. Apparently it helps. After several attempted efforts I gave up. I would reckon I was trying to play too fast from the start and that it’s no doubt an option but it’s certainly something I’ll be putting on the back burner for now.
Anyway if Steve Harris only uses 2 fingers that’s good enough for me

3 Likes

Similar to this, I was always taught to say “tri-puh-let” to get the rhythm…

For speed, the main “tip” that has stuck in my head is to play lightly - playing “hard” doesn’t let you play as fast… I think it’s Josh’s Steve Harris video where he says that Steve plays lightly and lets the amp do the work for volume…

1 Like