Tubes

that EQ Noon was drool worthy…I love that tone

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah it definitely doesn’t suck. I’ll make some better recordings later.

2 Likes

Ok remastered tracks are up.

3 Likes

Haven’t quite been following the entire discussion (a bit over my head…), but why do you prefer the EBS to the Le Bass, Howard? Is the Le Bass (which looks and sounds good to me and is cheaper than the EBS) too clean and not “colored” enough for what you are looking for?

Just trying to understand better and get educated… :smile:

3 Likes

The EBS is a third of the price of the Le Bass on the used market. Especially the non-DI 12V EBS like I got.

I think the Le Bass looks like a much more capable pedal. I actually want one, but it is $375 new and $280 used here. I got the EBS ValveDrive for $100 used.

3 Likes

Ah, I see - thanks!

Then, one could, of course, feel tempted to ask why the EBS apparently loses value so fast or significantly?

3 Likes

The one I bought is obsolete - it’s an older 12V model without a DI. The new one is 9V and has a DI, and so is much more desirable.

3 Likes

desirable fashionable current model, then obsolete and cheap, then vintage and much more desirable than ever. that’s the way it goes.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

You gotta hang on to it @howard :grin:

4 Likes

What pedals? The EBS Valve Drive versus the VT Bass DI?

The SVT as in a preamp stage from an actual Ampeg amp head?

Kinda confused what you mean there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the Tech 21 SVT Pre-amp / DI
to
the Tech 21 SVT pre amp

1 Like

The DI has some buttons around the XLR output, on the face of the unit
the Pre-amp just has 6 knobs, smaller pedal

1 Like

Ahh. No idea. Willing to bet the tones are close.

Tech 21 makes really good stuff in general though.

The VT Bass DI hasn’t arrived yet but I expect it to be awesome. I’ll probably be keeping it regardless but for this thread I am primarily going to compare real tube sound vs solid state tube modeling, more than looking at how good it is in general. I don’t think you need to worry about that, it’s one of the most highly regarded preamps you can buy now.

3 Likes

Let’s keep this topic focused on Tubes vs Not-Tubes and discuss this thing in the normal pedal topic.

2 Likes

This thread can’t be complete without auditioning the @terb 6SN7. I’ll pre-order if it encourages development!

2 Likes

So, Tubes
I got this Tube Compressor
It does use the tube for compression per Onvilabs review, it is not just there to glow and look like it is tube driven.
I don’t have any knowledge about tubes in general, and I have no idea how to tell the difference between a tube compressor and an optical or VCA for instance.
I can tell you, it is as nice a compressor as I have ever used.

2 Likes

What I would be interested in is how this thing changes your tone. What kind of color does its tube add to the tone when you use it?

2 Likes

Actually, very little to none. It keeps it fat and rich.
it is completely silent as far as expected compressor noise.
Once you set unity gain, and attack and release, you can play with ratio and threshold and very easily dial in what you like.
I think it is the most noticeable compressor of any that I have used as far as the ratio and threshold.

2 Likes

you can slightly overdrive it with the gain, and it sounds pretty F’n bad ass when you do

2 Likes

Sold!!!

Bought it on Offer Up this weekend. Sold it on Reverb tonight.
Sold so quick that I am thinking of getting the other one on Offer up, not as good a deal for me to buy, I think they are asking $150, but I can still turn a quick $75 if I get this other one.
This one just sold for $240, and that is the going rate since there are ZERO for sale in the USA on Reverb.
Such a nice compressor too, if it were not for the size, i might have kept it.

1 Like