Tubes

Well, I am in luck
Sort of
The guy that bought the Compressor sent a message saying he bought it on accident and he wanted to cancel the sale.
OK, I issued a refund for the full purchase, and re-listed it.

But I was sort of EXTREMELY relieved that it was not sold. I am kind of attached to it.

I am hoping that @Scoundrel1680 will take it for a test spin, like it, and buy it for what I paid for it, so I can keep it around. Such a great compressor.

IDK if it is the tube that makes it great or not, but it is awesome

@howard, I was reading the Onvilabs review on it, and what he said about the tube

First, I must say it has almost no noise! Even at high compression settings the noise is low, which is amazing for a tube pedal. The tone is very smooth and clean, not very colored by the tube, although it does seem to add a nice “thickness” to the mids. There is no loss of lows, and the low end sounds big and full.

I must say that I totally agree with this assessment of the pedal, so if it is the tube that does this would answer the questions you posed in a recent post about what the tube does to the tone.

1 Like

Interesting, those sound awesome.

I’m mostly interested in tubes for the tone they can bring - I’m almost disappointed it doesn’t color the tone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@howard All of those samples sound incredibly good to me.

1 Like

Thanks! I agree, the EBS is a winner for sure, I don’t think it has a bad tone in it. It’s kind of limited in its range but what it does it does really well.

2 Likes

So, if you didn’t fry the VT (or if you fix it hopefully) which would you keep? or do you think you will actually keep both.
I get in this position all the time, usually with compressors, but with amps and basses, etc… where I want to test between two and find qualities about both that make it seem better option to just keep both.
Of course at sometime, i need to be practical about things and decide between the two, but you seem to be more practical than not and can probably afford the space and time to just keeping both.

1 Like

If I can fix the VT I am definitely keeping it (I mean, no one would buy it anyway at that point). If I can’t fix it I might buy another one. It’s that good, I regret killing it before I could post samples.

The only thing that might change that plan is I also just bought a Vintage Microtubes clone kit to build. If that turns out as awesome as I think it might it could replace the need/desire for the VT.

I’m also probably going to buy another preamp kit, a GK 400RB front end clone, @terb is building it now, I am going to wait for his report there to see if it is as awesome as I think it will be.

So, the EBS. I like it a lot. A whole lot. It’s a big, heavy, clumsy, inefficient chunk of awesome tonal goodness - pretty much the epitome of the Tube Ideal :slight_smile:

I might hold on to it as well and use it at the end of my chain at all times, kind of like an uber-Glowplug. In fact I bet the GK preamp will sound amazing running in to it.

But the VT Bass DI sounded just killer and did a really really good job of achieving the same kind of tone, and was an order of magnitude more versatile. You should seriously check one out. It’s a great piece of gear.

2 Likes

this looks fun. old, but fun.

2 Likes

They have a few more models on their site. They look amazing! Pretty expensive though.

2 Likes

“really expensive though”

• fixed it for ya
2 Likes

heh yep

2 Likes

Yeah, that was more my question. Will you be keeping the EBS.
I kind of posed it as “since the VT was fried, will you now be keeping the EBS?”
I am certainly on the hunt for a VT, but most likely going to wait til I find something in the $120 and under.
If I was lacking in a Pre-Amp / DI, I would go get one right away, but I do have the Behringer (SANSAMP Clone) and the DG AOU to hold me til I find a good deal.

I’m falling more in love with the ValveDrive over time. Simple and effective.

I saw a few reviews where people said it wouldn’t overdrive well for them. Those people were noobs.

That’s only about half as hard as I was able to drive the tube into breaking up. It’s very easy to overdrive this thing.

2 Likes

Oh man that’s cool!
What were you using to overdrive it?
Was it another pedal in front or did you find a way to dial this in?

Can we get a sample with even more?

1 Like

I just dialed it in. I did have a compressor in front of it but nothing drastic.

Sure, I’ll max it out later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok this is pretty much the ValveDrive’s overdrive limit without pre-boosting. Not bad at all.

It’s a nice smooth ramp from perfectly clean to that, too. I kind of love this thing.

3 Likes

Wow, that thing is freaking cool.
I will keep my eye out for one of those, super super cool clipping on that.

2 Likes

So, I found a LIKE NEW, that was newly serviced, with a brand new tube Carvin BX 500 amp for a very good price.
On the back of this amp, it has a Tube Bypass switch. Why would you want to do this? does it just add to the versatility of the amp? Why would you want to go solid state if you already have a tube amp?
Is this really a FULL tube amp? it is pretty compact and like less then 8 lbs.
Lots of options
300w at 8ohms
500w at 4ohms
500w at 2ohms

also, there is a switch on the back, by the Speak-on / 1/4" combo outputs to switch between 2ohm min and 4ohm min load, with a warning saying if you select the wrong one there may be overload tripped.

I am guessing that you would only select 2 ohm if you had a 2ohm cab, and if you were running an 8ohm cab that you would select 4ohm min (there is no 8ohm selection)

1 Like

That is a tube preamp fronting a class D solid state power amp. So, not technically a tube amp; it’s a tube preamp/solid state power amp hybrid like the G-K Fusion line.

No idea why you would want to bypass the tube preamp, unless this is some kind of pre/post thing for the DI out?

2 Likes

That might be, because the DI out is close to the Tube Bypass switch, but there is no Pre/Post switch, so this must be the case, which actually answered another question I had to the seller, which was about pre-post DI.

2 Likes

Not sure where to put this, not least because I don’t quite understand what is really going on here, but I guess it could go in this thread here:

2 Likes