Tubes

it’s very hard to record a tube amp because if you want really the tone of the amp you have no other option that the old way with mics everywhere and the amp at 9/10.

nothing to compare with the ease of recording we all use now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, but the solution they suggest might help here, no!?! After all, it is a French product!!! :smile:

2 Likes

That seems to be really freaking cool. I don’t even want to look and see what it cost. LOL

1 Like

You can select any hall or room to simulate, even the BATHROOM!!!

Perfect for @eric.kiser, he can move his studio out of the Bathroom and still get HIS RIGHT SOUND. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

honestly I’m not much interested by those things, I prefer the simple and efficient solutions we have with good modeling gear today. I guess I’m getting old …

3 Likes

That’s cool… at least you know what it is that you want! I envy you for that!

4 Likes

Its OK for you to just want everything @joergkutter :smile:

it just wouldn’t be ok to expect to get everything. :rofl:

3 Likes

No, no, @T_dub, I was not talking about stuff, gadgets, gizmos… I was talking about “sound” - the most elusive item for many!!

4 Likes

I was purely joking. 100%. :wink:
I understood what you meant.

3 Likes

Those load boxes seem cool if you really like the sound of your amp’s power stage and want to capture it exactly. There’s really no cleaner way to capture the sound of a tube amp’s power stage. This should be way, way better than miking and you can do a cab sim to replace the cab.

Not for me though. Any amp I ever buy is going to have a class D power stage most likely, so not attractive to me, and yeah, there’s great amp and cab modeling options now anyway, like @terb says.

Amps are really kind of dead to me at this point anyway, since I really have no aspirations to play live or do much jamming with others. I’ve done that stuff, it’s awesome and fun and everyone should FOR SURE try it if you have the chance; it’s just not in my interests at the moment.

2 Likes

Hmm. So it looks like I can just drop a 5751 into the 12AX7’s socket and it should work fine, just with about 30% less gain. That might be interesting.

Looks like they run about $40 each here though, ouch.

edit: found a JJ for $25. Hmm :slight_smile:

The Sovtek ones run about $50.

1 Like

I have a NOS General Electric 5751 somewhere, it sounds really great.

2 Likes

I might have to try the JJ. Less gain is not a problem, this thing is super easy to overdrive now.

1 Like

JJ tubes (either preamp and power tubes) are usually very good in my opinion, very warm in the midrange.

2 Likes

Ooh, it’s Prime delivery, too. Ok what the hell.

Should be here Monday :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did something happen to the current tube or are you wanting try out something different?

1 Like

Trying different tubes for different tones!

1 Like

Ok it’s a keeper for sure!

Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

That’s equivalent to “EBS Noon” above, but with the 12AX7 swapped out for a JJ5751T. The 5751 is just starting to overdrive a little there.

2 Likes

Hey @terb, any feeling on good 6922 variants? I’ve heard good things about the EHX and JJ, but you always hear good things about those.

I’m looking at something that comes with a 6BZ7 stock, which apparently people immediately want to swap out.

hey @howard, the 6922 is like the ECC88. I never used this tube so I don’t have much references …

the sad point is that I remember that I had a big stock of New Old Stock RTC tubes, and there were a lot of ECC88 … but I sold all the references that I was not using in my amps, so I don’t have any of them any more :frowning:

1 Like