Tuners for a Fender

I’m gathering parts for a Fender build. I started with a MIM P-Bass neck. Any recommendations for tuners? I know that there some Fender tuners to choose from, and then there are aftermarket. I am leaning to Fender tuners since I went to the expense to get a genuine P-bass neck. But, if I did go that route which one should I choose.

If I didn’t I’m guessing Hipshot would be the way to go for a aftermarket tuners?

3 Likes

I’ve been looking myself and yep Hipshot are up there for sure. The only other options that caught my eye were genuine Fender and Wilkinson’s

3 Likes

@Mac @kwt7667 be careful with Wilkinson the plate measures 45 x 47mm and Fender is 35 x 40mm and won’t fit a lot of necks
Jamie @juli0r thought this might interest you

3 Likes

Already was lurking in the thread an reading but did not have valuable input :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for that info @Jamietashi. Lucky I didn’t take the plunge and buy the Wilkinsons :scream:.

3 Likes

@Mac You could go for modern tuners that can be a good look and I have used Wilkinson several times nice tuners incredible price
Janie
Jamie

3 Likes

I’m liking the open cog arrangement of the Fenders so I’ll stick with them. I do like some of the modern ones though but not for this build

3 Likes

Having done some searching and some reading, I am now leaning towards the Hipshot HB7, which I think will fit a MIM Fender neck. I’ve never heard anything bad about them.

I searched the Fender website for tuners, and I was less than amazed at their catalog. It wasn’t clear to me what was included in what they had for sale, and not real confident in what fit what. May have to find a good article on Tuning Machines upgrades.

2 Likes

the lightweight tuners like on the MIA Deluxe series are very good. (that’s not what I have, as mine is not a Deluxe)

3 Likes

They do look very classy :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@terb Here’s the thing though, the Fender site seemed to suggest a difference in fitment between the MIM and MIA tuners. My MIM neck is is drilled for four screws per tuner. I just don’t have a clear idea of what fits what in the Fender line… :thinking:

2 Likes

These come upon Ebay as a specific MIM tuner

Fender Part Number: 003-6400-000

(4) Genuine Fender chrome vintage style tuners for Mexican Standard and Highway 1 Series Basses. Requires 11/16"(18mm) peghead holes. Mounting hole spacing is 1" across the top, 25/32" across the bottom, and 1-5/16" top to bottom (on center)

3 Likes

Bingo! That’s what I need!

3 Likes

i just got a new mim neck, i called fender and the only ones fender has that do not require drilling new holes are the highway one tuners. they did fit without any drilling. i read several posts that indicated the hipshot and most others required drilling.

2 Likes