Tuning 5 string to 4 string

Hello BassBuzzers,

I’m trying to convert some bass tabs from a 5 string tuned EADGC to my 4 string EADG. To do this I am counting from my C on the A string. I am wondering if there is an easier way to do this?

Thank you!

1 Like

It would probably depend on what notes you have to play. You could move from ADGC to EADG by adding 5 to each tab number. For the E string, numbers would remain the same. You might need to rearrange some of it though to make it more playable.

1 Like

I’m not sure I was very clear… seems kinda hard to put into words :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s it.

Anything on E A,D,G strings stays the same.

Any notes on the C string move to the G string but five frets higher.

So C string fret 1 (c#) becomes G string fret 6.

4 Likes

Just transposing the G string to the C string is certainly the easiest. The thing is that might, depending on the song, create some big jumps making that song hard to play. That’s why I was suggesting moving the whole of it. But one would probably need to rewrite part of the tab taking into account playability.

I appreciate the responses! They help a lot.

1 Like

You have bass tabs for EADGC?? Seems kinda rare :astonished: :laughing:

1 Like

I do. I wish I didn’t :sleepy:

2 Likes

If the song is fairly fast you can use open strings to help you get into the next playing position. 16th notes at 110+ bpm doesn’t have a critical amount of clarity on a bass melody.

1 Like

Open strings often sound better anyway (drones and chugging/pedaling on an open string scale, etc.) There’s a cult of avoidance of open strings but sorry, often they are simply better.

2 Likes

As the leader of this cult, I will now have to conduct all sorts of fretted-note rituals to conjure the powers needed to deal with this heresy.

6 Likes

I need to get a special forum title of “Heretic”

5 Likes

…that would rule.

Heretic.

2 Likes

@JoshFossgreen What do you think? :rofl:

2 Likes

Sorry, but I’m more from the side of whatever works. I need as much help as I can get!

1 Like

When the heretic is ready, the forum title will appear. :japanese_ogre:

5 Likes

…wasn’t that a song by Living Colour?

:metal:

I shall prepare the tofu donuts for the anticipation rituals

3 Likes

don’t forget the mayo with them

1 Like

Tofu donuts? I’ll bring tofu pumpkin pie and be there as a witness to this party. Or something. :woman_mage:

1 Like