U-Bass strings

We have a lot of topics about bass strings, but I did not find one about U-Bass strings.

My Kala Journeyman came with roundwounds, but I would like to try the rubber strings. I find rubber/polyutheran strings for prices from ~15 to 60€ and would like to know if someone has a recommendation or advises against a specific product.

4 Likes

I’ve never played them but the rubber strings I have heard on them sound amazing, a whole lot like an upright. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

5 Likes

Seems the Road Toad Music Pahohoe are the only polyutheran product (there are other rubber materials from different brands) and as far as I can tell those were the strings reviewed in videos I saw.

Ordered now.
Would still value input of other U-Bass owners about strings anyway :wink:

5 Likes

I have a Kala P bass with these on it.
Yes, they are really the only ones you want to get.
They are great

They sound absolutely amazing.
A couple things to note…

• they take forever to settle in, they are rubber after all you have to retune a lot for a long time. In this case, you do need to pre-stretch these a lot BEFORE you put them on. They literally wont fit and you will struggle trying to get them on. Enjoy the workout
  • there is an odd little snap/snip sound when you pluck from the surface tension of the string, it bothers some people, just know its ok. Some suggest putting resin etc on your fingers, I think its a little much, its part of the sound.

You really get a wonderfully warm, upright thud.
Here’s a cover I did with them.

4 Likes

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Yeah, the Thomann youtube channel recommended that but I think I won’t be too bothered by it.

2 Likes

@John_E I just listened to that cover and left a comment along with a little personal story about that song.

4 Likes

I tried the steel strings on my Hutch Hutchinson signature but the action was still too high so I switched to Aguilar red thunder gut. They are quite awesome. Ended up putting them on the sold body as well. A lot less finger noise than pahoho.

1 Like

ARISE!!!

So I just ordered a set of Aquila Silver Rumblers to put on my Oscar Schmidt.

It started out having the standard white Aquila Thundergut, but I wanted to try the Thunderbrowns. So I got them on and although I LOVE the fell and tone, there is an awful buzz in the body when playing in the lower registers on the E string. My Luthier friend couldn’t figure it out either! Happens on both of my UBasses.

So back on the journey. Hoping these Rumblers will sound/feel good. A lot of love out there for them. I’ll report back here once I get them installed and give them a workout.

I may try some flatwounds on my Kala some day.