Unboxing / Build thread

Oh shiny :star_struck: @PamPurrs. Congratulations

6 Likes

not noisy, some hiss is decay and level are all the way up, but I find that with any reverb pedal. Same goes for the arttrifacting.
at the levels of reverb that I like to use, no, if I turn things way up, yes
it also depends on the intensity of playing. with slaps, pops, and hard plucks, there is a springy tail, which can be controlled by level, decay and pre-delay, but if set right, it also sounds cool to give some emphasis to the reverb

it is ICY COLD and I am digging this pedal.

I have sound samples recorded, I just need to export them to soundcloud then post here.
I have a clip for each type this pedal has, and I slap the strings and do twangs and pops before a little riff in that clip so you can really hear the pedal, not hiding behind the riff.

Then I did a little riff for a test of 4 of the types side by side with the Boss RV-6 and Ammoon Pocketverb.

I will get them posted tomorrow, not gonna do all that exporting and copying of links into a post tonight
I was surprised, for Hall, Plate, Spring and Modulate, between the 3 pedals, all set at 12 oā€™clock, there was surprising little difference between the three pedals
The Boss was Warmer and color the tone a little, but that was the most of it

5 Likes

So, this is the reverb pedal that I am going with. I donā€™t think I am going to test out the HOF 2, I am going to stick with this one and be happy with it.
Happy, not because I am settling for it, Happy because I genuinely really like this pedal. I love the look (I see a little bit of the DarkGlass design influence) and I love the way you select the type and save the way you like that type so every time you select it, you donā€™t have to mess with the controls. makes it easy going back and forth between types. Even if you only use a couple, 2-3 types, if you want different levels from type to type, you need to play with the controls. Probably not in the HOF2, or Source Audio, and / or many other premier reverb pedals, but for a sub $100 pedal, this is really well designed IMHO.

The Hi and Low are not to color your sound, but to remove any coloring that a type may have added. I have found that it adds very little to none, but you can further remove any with these dials. They of course work on the wet signal, so only how much MIX you have with the level dial is how much control you have over the tone.

OK, I did however, before packing up and shipping two pedals back, I took some sound samples that I am going to be adding to this post.

I only compared 3 types, I didnā€™t want to have to have 21 plus tracks to compare, so I selected some standard TYPES for comparison.
All pedals were set at neutral on all controls other then the TYPE selection nob. This is a basic RAW comparison of the three pedals with three popular types. All 3 pedals had lots of room to dial your sound in. I actually, when testing the three pedals side by side, at neutral, think they all three did very well.
The Flamma was the coldest of the three, and is very crisp and tight.
The Ammoon was neither cold or warm, it didnā€™t change the tone, but the reverb was a little loose, is the general way I can describe it., possibly this is the Artifacting or Noise that @howard is referring to.
The Boss was probably the least noisy, in the way Howard is describing, but still has noise in the GOOD way that all three have. The problem with the Boss is that is obviously, very noticeably changes your tone and warms up the room. For those of you, myself included, that like creepy, eery, empty room type reverb, this is a problem. If you like the warm reverb (and there is nothing wrong with you if you do, it is personal preference) then this is the first choice pedal for you.

My first choice was the Flamma, followed probably by Ammoon then Boss. This is neither right or wrong, it was just my pick. I would like to hear what you guys liked after hearing the samples below.

I tested them on Hall, Plate and Spring

Here is the baseline clean riff.

Boss - Hall

Flamma - Hall

Ammoon - Hall

Here is the baseline clean riff again to break up the groups

Boss - Plate

Flamma - Plate

Ammoon - Plate
https://soundcloud.com/toby-wood-953649285/pocketverb-plate-riff

Here is the baseline clean riff.

Boss - Spring

Flamma - Spring

Ammoon - Spring

Flamma is a great, inexpensive, sleek, good looking, icy cold sounding, tight crisp reverb, with room to grow. you can loosen it up with decay and pre-delay, but if you like the icy cold, and like the sleek look, ease of use, and $66 price tag, this is your pedal.
BOSS RV-6 is a CLASSIC reverb, and is somewhat versatile, mores then what is tested here. It has 7 types plus a Spring / Delay setting. It is warm, and changes the tone of your bass. There is a tone control, which helps some, but I find it still adds to the original bass sound. I donā€™t particularly like the WARMTH of this reverb, but I canā€™t argue with the quality of this classic pedal from BOSS. it is an industry standard for a reason, and if it is what you like, then it is defiantly for you.
Ammoon PocketVerb This is an interesting pedal from Ammoon in their POCKET line. I canā€™t really say anything bad about this pedal. It is in-between the Flamma and Boss in terms of temperature. it is pretty neutral. it is a little looser then the other two, as I said before. If you like delay, and you want a delay pedal, and if you like reverb, and you want a reverb pedal, then this is the ticket. it does both, and it does them pretty well. you can run Reverb, Delay, or Reverb plus delay.
What you donā€™t get, like in some bigger, more expensive pedals is the option for what type of delay goes with what type of reverb, and you donā€™t get to control them separately.
But, and this is a big but, you get a good reverb pedal with delay and reverb plus delay in a cute little $65 price tag, with a 5% upon from amazon. So, if you like delay, this is the pedal to get, there is nothing bad about it.

4 Likes

So far I like my Flamma reverb. Thanks for recommending it @T_dub

4 Likes

Yeah. The fact that the RV-6 warms things up would kill it for me. What I like about the RV-3 is it has that '80s super-cold, digital reverb feel to it. Since RV-3s are getting hard to find, Flamma looks like a good one to check out.

5 Likes

Does anyone know anything about this chorus pedal? It seems adequate and the price is right.

Is Electro-Harmonix a good brand name for pedals?

Thanks

5 Likes

EHX is fanastic, I own several of their pedals. And thatā€™s the chorus pedal I own, itā€™s a great chorus pedal. My bass hero has used a variant of it for 40 years.

It has a great sound, and a killer feature (the crossover) that sets it apart, and all in all is the pedal I would recommend to others.

4 Likes

HAHA, I just recommended that pedal to you in the other thread, but its cheaper on Ebay

EDIT - not by much, only about $5, so if you are more comfortable with Sweetwater, by all means, go for it.
I may just order it there too

4 Likes

LOL yeah I just read that.

5 Likes

Good demo here:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a good price new.

3 Likes

I did another recording on my WireTap, and recorded thru the Flamma FS02 Reverb Pedal to GB for each type it has.

Room
Hall
Church
Cave
Plate
Spring
Modulate

(See @PamPurrs Pam, I already remember them in order. LOL)

I will export them and add them here for a good, complete review of this pedal.

All settings were at neutral, so it is the factory settings for each type, out of the box.

I did some things on the recording to escalate and highlight the reverb.
I slapped, open palm on all 4 strings while muted a couple times, to get the reverb to kick in, with no notes behind it, then I played some dramatic notes, with quick slides down the neck, then went into a light riff. I played this way to be overly dramatic, like I said, kicking in the reverb with different intensities of playing.

I will get back and add the recordings in a little bit.

3 Likes

Yeah, I edited my post above right after looking at the link. $68 new from Sweetwater, or $64 new from Ebay. I might be more comfortable, for the extra $4 to just order from Sweetwater.

3 Likes

Yeah, I would, just for their reportedly excellent customer service.

3 Likes

Yeah, I just ordered one from Sweet H20

4 Likes

Plus, they send (wrapped) candy with every order. I donā€™t eat it, I just put it in a jar. I have enough for Halloween.

4 Likes

Here is the Flamma FS02 Reverb Pedal demo of all the types.
As mentioned previously, these are the seven types, out of the box, with all controls at neutral.
The test is some open palm slaps, hard plucks with slide down neck and then a light riff to sample the reverb.
The dramatic slaps and hard plucks really kick the reverb in, and lets you get the effect without following notes. then the playing lets you hear the reverb played into itself.
Let me know what you think of the pedal, or if you want to hear any additional tests

Clean Test

Room

Hall

Church

Cave

Plate

Spring

Modulate

2 Likes

Thanks @T_dub they all sound good

3 Likes

If anybody is interested in Reverb + Delay pedals,
Flamma makes one called the EKOVERB That is probably a nice pedal. If you liked what you heard from the Reverb, this one gives full control to the Reverb side and full control to the Delay side, so unlike the Ammoon PocketVerb, where you only had one set of controls for both.

This EKOVERB was not available on Amazon that I could find, but from the Flamma Shop, it is listed at $128, on sale for $98. So still under $100, you can get a good reverb with a full control delay, which I imagine will be very good too.

I do not have interest in delay, beyond what I can get from a chorus pedal at this time, but if I did, or ever do, I would get this pedal myself.

Beyond this FS02 Reverb Pedal and the FS22 Reverb + Delay pedal, they have a multi effects unit and a small guitar amp, so not really much more to consider except these two reverb pedals, but, hey, they are enough for my needs.

3 Likes

I like the Room, Hall and Plate best. I donā€™t think I have much use for Cave or Modulate. The spring is fun, and Church is about as ā€œBigā€ as I see myself going, but I like the icy cold Plate, and the very empty feeling of the hall. I like the smallness of the Room.

That said, I can play with the others, and get some ā€œlargerā€ sounds, but decrease the MIX and have some fun reverbs.
All in all, it is everything I wanted in a reverb pedal (which being completely honest, is not much) and way more, so I am all set with reverb.
This board is almost finished. need a good Chorus pedal, possibly a Phaser, or maybe a chorus / phaser / flanger Source Audio pedal will do the trick.
How do I keep this rabit hole alive?

1 Like