Unboxing / Build thread

I believe there is no way to NOT keep this kind of rabbit hole alive. We’ll all still be having this conversation years from now.

2 Likes

I’ve been more or less done for a while now in terms of buying gear. I mean, I love preamps and could picture swapping one out, but I have three in my signal chain now. And I love distortion, and could probably use some more classic dirt, something like the Darkglass VMT, or a more old-school overdrive, but it’s not a burning need and I also have four things that do that now anyway (though more modern and less classic sounding.)

A phaser might be interesting (I really like them) but my chorus fills the modulation need pretty well for me.

I don’t have any synthbass but I don’t want any either, as I would use a real synth for that. Plus I can get close to synthbass with my octaver+chorus+reverb there anyway.

I still don’t have an amp, but I also don’t need or want one. I could get a better headphone amp (like the DG) but eh.

I feel like I have too many basses (at 2!) and will probably sell my BEAD bass.

All in all I’m pretty happy with my gear now. It’s actually a good place to be :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

I just played with the Flamma reverb and the TS9b tube screamer together. OMG.

Did I mention OMG?

3 Likes

Awesome! Just wait until you can do distortion + chorus :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Except for the Chorus pedal, and the always watching eye for great deals, to flip or keep, trade up, whatever, I am happy where I am at, to the point that I am selling off basses now. and flipping gear, and just selling gear.
I made my first post of Reverb last Tuesday, and shipped it today, it sold on Saturday. I sold my first Zoom B1 four. Sold it for $75 plus $15 shipping. After the shipping and selling fees, I got $70 for it.
I still have a B1x-four that I will keep, mostly for a headphone amp for my daughter, since I have a headphone amp in my DG Alpha Omega Ultra, and in my Imac.

2 Likes

Yeah, you mentioned it. LOL. Don’t you love how it just wakes everything up. Like @howard says, with a touch or chorus, will be triple OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.
LOL

3 Likes

Here’s the latest addition to my pedalboard. Electro-Harmonix Bass Clone chorus pedal. It took me all of 10 minutes of playing around with it to be convinced this is a keeper!
Of course Sweet H20 included their usual bag of candy. I love buying from these guys!

4 Likes

Looking really nice. the candy is a SWEET touch. :smile:

4 Likes

And there’s a dad joke right there @T_dub :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah it’s a keeper for sure. I love mine, exactly the sound I am looking for.

Peter Hook has used a variant of this (a '70s EHX Clone Theory) for 40+ years, and for post-punk, he’s as iconic as it gets.

You have a solid little effects chain going there. Distortion/Drive into Modulation into Reverb. Exactly how I would do it too.

You can really hear it in this track, as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-T3yzQbMVE

2 Likes

Thanks @howard

4 Likes

a bag of picks would have been even better :grin:

I like your patch cables by the way, they look pretty flat. what is the reference / exact model ?

3 Likes

It’s these from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBN6MHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

thanks !

3 Likes

I order just enough from Sweet H20 so that I never have to buy candy for Halloween

5 Likes

That’s usually the freebie over here

4 Likes

Ok, some new additions, and I am going to have to completely re-do the board, which I will do over the next day or two.

I Sold this for $50
51zc5dFb4sL.AC_UL320

And bought this for $80, used in excellent condition, on Reverb.
It arrived today, in excellent condition. The reason it was not “MINT” was because no box with it.
61bSAmXJVCL.AC_UL320

I found this Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier on Offer up for $80 (plus $7 shipping and some tax, so $90 total). I had planned to flip It on Reverb, cuz I could get AT LEAST $150 (it is MINT, has everything with it) if not up to $200.
But, I fell in love with it. I may have 3 compressors on my board, or, if I flip one, it will probably be the Boss. I have not done any side by side by side testing, but I love the Keeley, instantly.
814p9kKClPL.AC_UL320

Now for the FUN STUFF.
I added a LOOPER
6 hours recording
99 memory slots
20 drum beats
and MORE MORE MORE
81SOuiUgoyL.AC_UL320

Preliminary testing, I really like this pedal. Solid construction, nothing flimsy on this pedal. fairly self explanatory to just get up and running, but I will be reading the manual to really understand it’s capabilities, but I had some fun just turning on the drum beats, jamming out and making some sample recordings.

I like my WireTap, for different reasons, as it has a lot of space to record stuff, but is more for capturing ideas for song writing, it is not geared towards using for loops or playback on a pedalboard, although you can do that.
The wiretap is a small mini with nothing more then a foot switch and a couple flush buttons, so it is rugged and can just go in a gig bag pocket, and you can plug it in line, in front of everything if you want the dry signal, or juts put the pedalboard into it and to the amp if you want to record the wet signal. It is easy enough to keep it with a patch cable and a 9v PS in a gig bag.

the looper will get on the pedalboard and be used for all sorts of fun when I get a better understanding how to use all the features.

I rate this high based on the ease of use out of the box (for simple stuff)
Nice rugged constructions
Features
Performance
price.
At $99, you are getting the Boss RC-3 with double the memory capacity and more drum beats I think. The Boss RC-3 is $179.
Of course if you are a BOSS person, or against NU>X, then go for the Boss RC-30 dual looper pedal.

3 Likes

Will update with board pictures after I re-do it.

Since the last pictures I have
Removed the EHX BASS BIG MUFF
and will be adding
DarkGlass Alpha Omega Ultra
EHX Bass Big Muff Deluxe
Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier And / OR Boss Bass Comp BC-1X
Flamma Reverb Pedal
NU>X Loop Core

2 Likes

I just got this tiny little gem from Reverb (thanks for getting it to me so quickly, @itsratso)

I’ve been playing around with it this morning and I must say, Mooer has packed a lot of capability into this tiny pedal. The 36 preinstalled cabs sound awesome coming through my Rumble 100, and it’s hard for me to decide which ones I like the most.
With this and my Tube Screamer engaged, my walls are shaking!

7 Likes

hah, yeah i had seller’s remorse and ordered one for myself too. so now we both have one. it’s a cool little pedal, right? i figured out the reason why it wouldn’t work with my power supply is my new power supply takes special cables that you have to buy from them. i was using a cable that i thought was the right one but it turns out it was some mystery cable that looked like the right one but wasn’t. it works fine now. i wish they had some more bass cab sims but it sounds really good.

7 Likes