Unboxing / Build thread

I liked the modulated tracks 7 &8 the best.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Weird, all of the soundcloud tracks are silent for me. other sites playing fine.

2 Likes

Strange.
I had that problem with the YouTube videos you posted the other day.
I could play YouTube on the website and some on the forum, but not the ones you linked me to.

I did a restart on my computer and it fixed whatever bug I had going on.

Just a thought?
I donā€™t think it is regional because Brian heard it.

1 Like

It isnā€™t anything you did, I canā€™t hear anything on soundcloud now, including mine. I wonder if they did something to block linux browsers.

2 Likes

Hmmmā€¦that would suck

1 Like

I liked #7 the best.

Iā€™m guessing numbers 3, 5, and 7 were Boss and 2, 4, 6, and 8 were Gokko?

3 Likes

Hereā€™s what I learnedā€¦
I like Room Reverb. (thatā€™s cool to know)
and I canā€™t really tell these pedals apart.

Are they significantly better or different than what the Zoom has?

3 Likes

the Zoom has some good reverb in it. The zoom has lots of good options and ways to make chains.
I am more of a hands on the pedal, change multiple things at a time while playing open notes or fretted notes / riffs, make quick changes, etcā€¦
I do better with physical pedals.
I use Amazon free ship / free return to test things out, keep what I like, return what I donā€™t.

Like my TC Electronics Sub n Up, the zoom does not have an octave model to come close.
The envelope filters on the zoom are good, but the MXR I have is much more versatile IMO and IME

The Zoom model of TC Electronics Corona Chorus pedal.
I tested them side by side.
I had the full size Corona Tri Chorus.
The zoom controls matched the Corona
so I could have the settings match each other thru testing

Side by side, I could not tell the difference.
However, the TC Pedal has the TonePrint, so lots more to the pedal.
but I sent the corona back, and use the Zoom til I get a Chorus pedal that I like better.
I am going to try the EHX Bass Clone next, and I am betting that I keep it.

I also tested (but did not have my computer to record samples) a few other reverb pedals. all of the were good, but the other pedals had things I did not like specifically, like the Valeton Mini had tiny control dials, and it was too hard for me to make fine adjustments without taking time and care to do so.

Anyway, anybody can go very far with the zoom. it all depends if you want to stay with the zoom, or jump down the pedal board rabbit hole.
I still have a zoom multi pedal on my board, the MS-60b, which has most of the same effects, amp and cab sims as the B1-four.

3 Likes

This gets into my hesitation to get a Zoom.

Iā€™ve spent decades working with computers. I want my music hobby to take me away from that and I fear the Zoom, or any other elaborate multieffect piece of equipment would take me right back there. I want to feel like Iā€™m working with tools instead of working with computers.

3 Likes

you are going to have to jump down the pedalboard habit hole like I did, much for the very same reason you just stated

3 Likes

Just came home with this.
Gonna give it a test drive for the next, hmmm, all night.

2 Likes

Awww yeah!

2 Likes

it only cost me an Agiular Agro pedal and $70. So $275.
I already like it way more then the Agro, but I need to read up not this baby, some of it doesnā€™t make sense, meaning, it does the opposite of what I expect it to do.
Considering refurbished on Amazonis $349, I am not complaining.
That Agro pedal was going to be a pain in the ass to send back to the Seller, cuz I slipped up and did not get it on Amazon Prime, so this trade suits me just fine.

I was told by the guy I traded with that he likes another pedal way better, and this is what he uses now, and why he let this go.
Hmmmmā€¦ looks tempting, but I got this for now, so NO!

He swears by that, says if it were his only pedal, he could live on it just fine.

2 Likes

The VT Bass DI looks like a great preamp if you want a tube amp sound but hands down I would want the Alpha Omega over it. Especially since I already have a $35 BDI-21, which is a clone of the VT Bass DIā€™s little brother, the SansAmp BDDI.

But if you want a tube amp and cab sim on your board and donā€™t care about getting a Darkglass sound then that would be an awesome choice, yeah. It does a really nice job of sounding like a tube amp.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have the BDI-21 on my board too, I am not planning to get the one. I was just posting that this was his preference.
After talking to him for a bit, then seeing this and looking it up to see that the difference with this one was the Cab Sims, I can understand why He likes it so much. He is not much of an amp person, so the cab sims are probably what he likes so much about it.
By not being an amp person, I just mean he has one combo amp and is good with it. he doesnā€™t know Ohms, or extension cabs, or separate amp heads and cabs. He just said its not the section he focuses his efforts too.
He does know about the internals of the bass pretty good, gave me some good tips, but when I started talking amps, he said its not his subject, so makes sense he likes this version of the sans amp best.

and he told me about Plecking, and it is something I may be doing to my Ray34 pretty soon.

It is an interesting process, and he says that after getting his Stingray 34 placed that he can set the action way lower, and fret buzz is gone. There is a local shop I can take it to to get done, and I am interested in doing this for sure.

1 Like

Iā€™d never heard of that, it sounds awesome.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is sounds like it is amazing, it completely levels the frets so you can lower the action all the way and not have spots that buzz. thatā€™s how I understand it, I will probably read this article to learn more, but year, it does sound awesome.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-is-plek/

1 Like

its a real bitch finding a bdi21 these days. everyone is backordered, i prepaid for one that was to be delivered in october. when i went on the sight to check on the order, i noticed they had a used one for $29. canceled the preorder and snagged it. score!

3 Likes

iā€™ve seen those before, some local place was making a big deal about getting one of those machines a while back.

2 Likes

Cool. They are really, really great little pedals for the price. I use mine as kind of a light amp sim and itā€™s also my DI, sort of like how you would use a VT.

2 Likes