Unboxing / Build thread

I would have to check his system, but on his computer, they recorded exactly how they played in GB. On mine they are not, possibly he had this switch off? not sure, but I am re exporting now with that switch off, gonna check it out.

2 Likes

Hopefully that sorts the issue out, @howard always has the right answers👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Yes @howard, that was it, now they record how they play in GB.

Brian, go to Garage Band preferences, advanced and un check AUTO NORMALIZE. That may solve all your problems.
What it is doing is deciding how to output your instruments, ignoring you settings in the amps and whatever else, and going by your interments impedance, making adjustments it thinks are what you want, even tho they are not what you want.
That is a somewhat simplified explanation, but in general, that is what it is doing.

That is that one button, in that one menu I was talking about.

Give me a few minutes to deal with soundcloud and I will repost the results.

3 Likes

No problems Toby, I will write it in my book and make the changes tomorrow :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

It’s even simpler than that, it’s just going through the exported track and scaling it so that the loudest peaks are at a specific amplitude (usually -4db, with 0db being full volume). This is a common operation, all DAWs have options to do this, and generally it’s something you want to do before final export. It sounds like GB is just set up to do it by default.

The problem here is you are testing compressors with slap. Since compressors limit at different efficiency based on setting, in one of your tracks the peaks were limited more than the other, and when the normalizer scaled the track so that the peaks didn’t clip, it scaled one more than the other.

Perfect example of a feature that is “nice” for most usage but not always what you want :slight_smile:

It’s actually kind of a nice option, for most use I would just leave it checked.

3 Likes

Yeah, but if Brian is having different results from different instruments, based on their pick up output and / or internal pre-amp In active electronics, then he won’t get normal results as expected when switching basses. If that is the case with my basses, I am probably going to leave it off, but will have to do a lot more testing to know for sure.
But thanks for the help, I looked and looked, but didn’t know to look for this, and you pointing it out got the job done.

2 Likes

New compressor audio file results. all the equipment is the same, just the Auto Normalize was turned off.

Clean

San June Optical Compressor G8-cp

Boss Bass Comp BC-1X

2 Likes

got them re-posted.
I was playing with the San June a little before I figured out the Auto Normalize issue, so I think that it is not set just right. I can get it better then this, even tho, I do like it. I think it keeps the same bass tones as the dry track.
I also like the Boss, it does change the tone a little, but for the better, it really wakes up the bass, nice and fat.
I still love both of these compressors, I wish I had the San June set just right, but at 4:30 in the morning, having been at this for 5 hours, I am not gonna tweak it in right now.
@TNKA36 what would you like to hear from the compressors, you just want me to go thru a range of settings? and do you want a particular compressor, or both?
Really, I don’t mind doing, it, in fact, I like doing it, so you asking is just giving me an excuse to do it, but I am gonna wait til my next session, I am calling it quits now. I have an hour to practice, then I have an hour long meeting at 6am.

1 Like

Interesting! The Boss is definitely compressing more there. The San June is more subtle.

Could just be settings though.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, what do you want me to play for the compression tests? Requests are open, lol
you want slap, or pluck chugging, or I suppose I could play with a pick? Up to you.

Still like the boss over the others👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

It’s definitely compressing a lot more in that example.

3 Likes

I now have 2 in my watch list :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Which ones?

1 Like

The boss @T_dub

2 Likes

Yeah, that San June for $66 is way worth it too.
I got frustrated with gB and trying to get it right for 5 hours that I changed a few settings on the Sam June, so that when I finally got it to export correctly, it was not set up how it should be.
I will probably post more sound files later today or tomorrow to show how good it too really is.
I am pretty disappointed that I could not get it right sooner and would have had a better example of it posted now.

4 Likes

Still loving that Boss. I’m looking forward to the modified San June file. :+1:

4 Likes

Yeah the Boss is really audibly compressing there and it sounds good.

The San June sounds like it has similar characteristics to my compressor, which would make sense as they are both optical compressors. So you can make it compress and limit more aggressively like the Boss is doing there but it requires a bit more cranked settings; otherwise it’s more subtle and smooth.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I love about the San June. In cases where I am going to use other pedals, I would prefer the subtle compression in that I want the cleanest sound sent to those pedals, then I can overdrive it and / or modulate the signal for the best sound I would be looking for.
Other times I want to play a clean sound with benefits of compression, when I don’t quite want to overdrive or distort the sound, but want it to be alive with grit, and that is the Boss to a T
I am fortunate to have found the San June, then get so so so so so so lucky to have the Boss offered up in a trade.
Very happy with my end results for my compression options on my board.

3 Likes

New pedals, new test.
Reverb showdown…sort of.

First up
GOKKO Creepy Reverb. Amazon - $55.00

Next up
BOSS RV-6 Reverb - Amazon - $149.99

The contenders - in the ring - side by side - ready for a fair fight.

Here are 8 audio wav files.
BOSS keeps the same settings and cycles thru type
GOKKO varies Pre-Delay, Resonance and Decay to match the Boss Type as best as I could

Boss
Mix - 1 O’clock
Tone - 1 O’clock
Time - 3 O’clock

Creepy
RES - varies 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock
CFR - 12 o’clock
LPF - 12 o’clock
PRD - varies 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock
MIX - 12 o’clock
DECAY - varies 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock

Simple scale progression riff I came up with to get a decent dynamic tonal range.
This was played on Stingray Ray 34
Recorded on TC Electronics WireTap for playback thru pedals

Clean track

Modulated tracks

3 Likes