Unboxing / Build thread

Actually it might be volume difference but I think the boss sounds like it is compressing substantially better there. However the levels are pretty different so hard to say.

1 Like

Something is wrong with my exporting, I am re doing it, cuz at first, the clean track and the San June were the same track, I got the link wrong. I put the right link, but the volume is messed up.
In GB, the volume is fine.
The Boss, SoundCloud gave me a fit.
So, give me about 5 min and I will re-post all 3

3 Likes

Yeah, IDK what to do now @howard, HELP please.
All three tracks play the same level in GB, but they export to sound cloud at three different levels. I have no idea what to do to get them right?

2 Likes

Are you exporting to mp3ā€™s locally and then uploading them? If not, thatā€™s a better bet than exporting directly to soundcloud.

Export locally and then listen to the mp3s. If they are the same level then try uploading to soundcloud. If it mangles them - no idea :slight_smile:

If the mp3s are not exported at the same level, try adjusting the master mix level and re-export.

3 Likes

Thanks, I was going directly to soundcloud. I will do the MP3 thing.
I am really not a fan of soundcloud and I have used it for like 50 min over the spread of 2 days.

2 Likes

I fricking hate soundcloud but grumble through using it anyway. Like, itā€™s 2020 and they still donā€™t have a volume control.

3 Likes

IDK WTF is going on, they export at different levels, but they all play the same level in GB

2 Likes

I request :joy: :rofl:
Cheers Brian

1 Like

As soon as I figure this stupid GB out, IDK WTF is going on, but they all play at the same level in GB, and they export at different levels.
I have tried all sorts of things. at this point, I am going to close it up, and start over and see if it helps. Probably only take 10 min to redo it now that I am all set up otherwise.

2 Likes

I had similar problems, that is what I was talking about getting your head around GB, doing fade to master track, Convert to MP3 and then save prior to upload.
My issue was the humming that was not noticeable until I had uploaded after mixing in iMovie.
Pain in the arse.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Are you altering volume on DAI or recording all three at same settings?

2 Likes

all same

1 Like

Maybe because they are 3 different pedals, with different internal settings, this could be causing the difference in volumes after mixing as GB records at same level?
Not sure but this could be whatā€™s causing it?

2 Likes

They are compressor pedals, I leveled out the volume on them, then did compression settings, always checking the volume of the pedal to the volume of the dry signal. I am sure if you measure the volume that there is a difference in output, but I canā€™t hear it, so I donā€™t see how garage band could take that very very very slight difference, that is not audible to the human ear and maximize compound the results the way it is???

2 Likes

I have used different basses to record my covers and have everything set the same but notice big differences in the finished track.
Example Rickenbacker is not as prominent as P-bass and the mustang is louder than both the others, I have DAI set the same for all recordings

3 Likes

Yeah, I did a whole new project. deleted all the amps that open up with it.
created a new one. Went thru and turned everything off except the amp.
went and tweaked the amp to how I wanted it, playing the loop thru the track as I did the settings.
Copied the identical track two time.
then I recorded the clean in track one
the San June in track 2 and the Boss in track 3
Export them and they all are at different levels.

I even got rid of the amp and they still all recorded at different levels.

It does not matter which one is in which track, it just exports them at different levels.

The GB must not have strong enough algorithms to handle this.

I think I am going to download Reaper or Audacity and check them out. if I canā€™t review pedals on GB, it is about 50% useless to me.

IDK, I mean, I am new at GB, it could be me, I am not ruling that out, but I use lots of sophisticated software for engineering, and I know that I am probably not missing much if anything. Of course, one tiny switch hidden in one menu somewhere could be the difference, but I couldnā€™t find it and I looked everywhere I could find.

3 Likes

Check and see if it has an option set to normalize levels on export or something similar. What it might be doing is detecting your peaks from the slap and normalizing the track down to make those not clip. This would especially make sense testing compressors, where one may limit more than the other.

GB in general has a user-friendly behavior that is generally nice and tries to make things easy on people using it, but sometimes may not do what you want (e.g. setting up new bass/guitar tracks with an amp sim by default - thatā€™s a nice touch but not something you always want.)

3 Likes

Ha ha, I just downloaded Audacity and was setting up a track when this came in. I checked and it was set to Auto Normalize. I turned it off, gonna see what happens.
Like I said, one button in one menu can make all the difference int the world.
Lets see if it does the trick.

3 Likes

I bet thatā€™s it.

2 Likes

As I mentioned Toby,Iā€™m only new to the whole process myself, but I tried adjusting, changing settings etc then recorded using different basses running tracks parallel with all the levels the same and got different outcomes on every occasion, I put it down to the instruments?
It could be the same with the pedals in that the tracks you recorded the other day, assuming the settings were the same produced different tonality and volume levels, besides the Metronome you could hear the differences pretty easily?
Maybe outputs from pedals is different enough to produce variations in finished tracks?
Cheers Brian

2 Likes