Upgrade Advise

Hey everyone!
Currently own an Ibanez AGB 140 Semi Hollow that I started my BtB lessons with (Just finished Module One) that I enjoy learning with until I found a Gretsch G2220 short scale (yes, I bought it) that I will switch to for now while learning.
Does anyone have any recommendations on some upgrades (Gretsch) that I could do (some string humming and low action currently and lower end tuners)??
Maybe some different Pick ups in lieu of the single coils currently on it??
Thanks and look forward to any responses!

2 Likes

The Gretsch G2220 short scale is also on my list to purchase.
Are you not happy with the way it sounds? Tell me more!

Otherwise, @Al1885 always has answers to your questions!

1 Like

There are many G2220 upgrade threads in the forum.

Do a search using “G2220” to list them all.

2 Likes

Fairly happy with the sound, definitely have “fret buzz”, but needs the action raised a tad that might alleviate this.
Just a curious post to see if maybe there are better pick-ups, strings available vs the “low end/mass manufactured ones” that came on it…

2 Likes

See Upgrade Advise - #3 by MikeC

3 Likes

Will do…
Thank You!

3 Likes

EDIT: Gretsch Junior Jet Controls Upgrade

1 Like

Check your neck relief with the temp in winter in a wild swing throughout the day/ week may be that’s just it. Most brands choose to do factory setup on the high(er) side because many associate fret buzz to poor workmanships, so if it’s buzzing new it’s usually not the string height but trussrod adjustment.

1 Like

:rofl: I don’t own anything in that shape not Gretsch not Gibson. I tried many times to pull the trigger on Musicman Reflex bass (gamechanger) but could never do it. It’s just the personal preference thing.

1 Like

But you always know the answer - don’t be shy ^^

2 Likes

I’d start with a proper setup by the sounds of it.

The Junior Jet, although orginally marketed as a humbucker, was found to be a simple single coil - big controversy here! And they ended up replacing or crediting folks that bought them under the false marketing, so hum might just be single coil hum.

2 Likes

I can’t do the Les Paul body shape either. It just doesn’t feel good to me. Bummer too because Les Pauls are gorgeous IMO.

Gretsch I can do but only the hollow bodies :slight_smile:

The funny thing is, for single coils I thought they sounded pretty good, and I am not a huge fan of single coil pickups on bass (even J pickups - not my favorite).

3 Likes

I on the other hand love the LP look / feel. It’s the only 6 string that I kept from my guitar playing years. I just picked up a used 6220 this past weekend, and it’s gotta be about half the weight of my LP. No buzz but getting used to how much looser the strings feel compared to my Yamaha is a thing that’s still happening. At it’s price point, it’s a really fun guitar to play.

2 Likes

The G2220 body was too small and uncomfortable to me when playing sitting down, but I’m sure not to everyone.

2 Likes

I absolutely love the look but the body shape punches me in the lower chest in a weird way. And if I try and hold it so it doesn’t, it feels weird.

1 Like

If i may be so bold as to state that the tuners on my gretsch 2220 junior jet were junior junk. I had to replace them. Holding tune was simply not in their plan.
But i do love my gretsch, pretty sick bass tone.
I wouldn’t steer you away from one, they are a Ton of fun to play.

Yep, for sure. I commented in earlier post that my G2220 wouldn’t stay in tune even if I bought it dinner first. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Maybe she’ll play better after breakfast? :wink:

1 Like

Dude, she could play all day and all night.

Just not in tune.

3 Likes

Yeah - maybe it’s you, not her? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes