Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Ahh yeah that was another one I saw, thanks. I’ll add it. In general I like their pups.

5 Likes

@Barney did you make that pick guard? Because that is really cool.

3 Likes

No @eric I got it from these guys. It’s beautiful, but I was using my Boss wireless transmitter and I cracked it against the edge of the desk and split the pick guard at the jack where it’s very thin. Totally my fault, it’s well made but it is just a very thin piece of wood.

If you’re not an animal like me you’ll be OK :wink:

5 Likes

Kickass is looking kind of marginal for P’s:

Hipshot A-style and B-style look like they fit fine though.

6 Likes

Didn’t @terb had a thread about using different tails on a P?

That said you should do whatever you fancy :wink:

5 Likes

Hoping he chimes in :slight_smile:

here we go:

Here’s the hi-mass he used on Greenie:

the tl;dr is he went back to the Vintage in the end.

6 Likes

I like all the Dimarzio’s I have. Relentless, Sizties P, and the Model P. I like the Relentless, but I like the Sixties and Model P more. Sizties sounds more vintage, and Model P a bit more modern. Also has traditional covers, and adjustable pole pieces to adjust the height. If mail were working I would ship you one - I have a spare from when I installed my Sixties P.

They all have good output

5 Likes

I like the Kickass bridge, but I have a Hipshot A on my Stream 1005 and like it a lot. I like the Fender Himass a lot too. I like the Hipshot A of these 3, then Fender, then Kickass.

4 Likes

I put a Wilkinson bridge on my Squire P, which is an upgrade but pretty close to Fender. Sturdier and I like the adjustment better than Fender, it’s what ESP uses.

Fender on top, Wilkinson on bottom

3 Likes

Listening to a lot of DiMarzio comparisons and I really like the Model P.

5 Likes

I’ve got DiMarzio’s on my jazz @howard and love them.
I’ve also got the BadAss bridge ( mk1 I think) and that’s solid but the body was butchered to fit it! Not something I would have been prepared to do but I’m thinking back in the late 70’s it was the only option

4 Likes

yes ! I’d like a Relentless. for your information, the pickup on Greenie is the Model P, also known as DP 122 . at the time I chose it because it’s the pickup used on the very early BC Rich basses.

I’d consider a Lindy Fralin if I wanted a very vintage-sounding P. otherwise I find that my MEC Dynamic Correction (made in Germany ; comes from a MIG Warwick) is a really impressive pickup.

I suspect that I would have gone back from every other “high mass” bridge, as well. what I like is the crappy old light bridge, I think. at this point I don’t consider a bridge “upgrade” at all.

7 Likes

Model P is really nice

5 Likes

I’m really liking the DP122 samples I am finding online. Probably more than the Relentless, actually. Certainly more than the Quarter Pounders and Fenders.

Yeah I think there’s very little wrong with the bent metal ones frankly, and I like that it’s light. The SBV has a bent metal vintage-style too and it does just fine.

If I do replace it I am actually leaning towards the Gotoh. Looks like a slightly more solid, better made version of the same thing.

6 Likes

yeah, can’t agree more :grin: I can like the SPB-1 and SPB-2 but I’m not a big fan of the SPB-3.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s one thing that worried me abou the FGN; that it had a pair of SPB3s, which sound pretty good together. I have an SPB1 and a Dp122 from Dimarzio in my parts box though and figure I could always buy another pickup if the SPB3s don’t impress. Probably the Model P. It is so lively

3 Likes

The Fralin, Fender CS '62, and Bare Knuckle all sound pretty similar to me. Fralins slightly better than Fender, and Bare Knuckle probably the best. But at over $200 of course it is.

Hmm, I should probably do the pots, cap and jack now too, huh. 250k log pots and a .047uF capacitor sound good?

2 Likes

yes but it depends on the output level of the pickup. On Greenie I replaced the volume pot for a 500k but left the 250k tone pot (well I actually replaced it, but it’s still a 250k). a 500k tone pot would bring a little bit more high end, maybe I’ll do it one day but I’m pretty happy with the current setting. Also I prefer a linear volume pot, and a log tone pot. a log tone pot is quite mandatory, but the volume pot taper is way more a matter of habit and personnal taste.

.047uF is the right cap value in my opinion for a passive bass, in most cases.

4 Likes

I happen to have a 500k log pot lying around, could just get one more if they work well with the DiMarzios.

I definitely want to change the jack no matter what; the stock one is very tight, to the point it feels like it stresses the pickguard when removing the cable.

2 Likes

If you look at the wiring diagram for Dimarzio, they recommend 250k tone and 500k vol for the model p

4 Likes