Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

My P Bass volume pot was damaged when it arrived from the store 2 years ago. I negotiated a discount and was going to get around to replacing it. But it worked in the 75% to 100% range so I lazily left it.

I stumbled across a New Zealand company called Obsidian who do prewired harnesses with solder less connections for pickups. Not stupid money, so I thought I’d give it a go.

Pretty straightforward install:

  1. Remove strings and remove old pots and jack from pick guard.
  2. Cut the wires as close as possible to the old pots to give you as much slack as possible.
  3. Strip wire with about 1/4" bare and twist
  4. Use a small flat head screwdriver to depress a small tab and insert the wire.
  5. Reassemble
  6. Play

Does it sound better? There’s probably a psychological effect (which the cleverer of you can tell me what it is) but it sounds great. I just plugged it into my Rumble. No noise and sounds clear as a bell.

If you don’t want to bother soldering, but maybe want to try swapping pickups this could be for you.





12 Likes