Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Well, one more question: as you have the zeroth fret, you don’t need to feed the strings underneath the string tree anymore!? Is that correct? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

I’m confused :thinking: What do you mean?

6 Likes

Normally, in order to ensure a good “witness point” at the nut, you need to make sure that the two highest strings are fed underneath that round thing on the headstock (called a string tree) - it is the two highest strings because their pegs are furthest away and the string tree pushes them down ensuring a good witness point at the nut.

This is how it should be, while in your photo the strings are fed above the string tree.

But, perhaps with the zeroth fret, this requirement is more relaxed now!?!

9 Likes

@joergkutter you have an amazingly acute eye for minute details. I could have used you on my editing team back in my magazine publishing days!

That was an error on my part, which I caught after I took the picture and posted it. I have since corrected it and now the strings are underneath the round thing (I had no idea it was called a “string tree”).
The zero fret has no bearing on whether or not those two strings go under there, I just screwed up.

8 Likes

Haha, occupational hazard… reading student reports all the time :grin:

All good then - and I will sign off for today :smile:

7 Likes

Tiny upgrade today, as my Harley Benton 6-string hadn’t really gotten much love recently… I exchanged the tuners that came with the bass with Warwick tuners; they are also not the most expensive ones, but certainly an upgrade :grinning:

What is interesting with cheap basses is that things happen when doing upgrades - some I should have foreseen, some came as surprises: here, I destroyed one of the little screws anchoring the tuner from the backside (partly my fault, partly cheap screw); but then, as I was putting the strings back on, the nut popped out of its groove :flushed: Well, I didn’t have any glue handy (and couldn’t really be bothered), so I decided to let the strings press down on it and keep it in place (hey, it works for the bridge on hollow bodies…) - will see whether and how that might affect intonation etc.

9 Likes

If the nut slot is the correct width and the nut can’t shift back and forth, it shouldn’t matter.

EDIT: not width, thickness, in a lengthwise direction on the neck. Sorry.

4 Likes

Yes, indeed, everything looks hunky dory so far :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

For some reason Warwick offers a lot of top notch stuff for low pricing while the guitars are a bit more expensive. Come to think of it it’s the same as with Fender :thinking:

4 Likes

It shouldn’t. My Squier nut wasn’t glued before I changed it.

3 Likes

Virtually unnoticeable upgrade visually today, swapped out the passive EMG HZ pickups in the Frank Bello bass for his Signature PJX active set. I just wanted that bass to have more ummmph… and now it does!

Looks the same except for the Xs. Sounds stellar.
EMG solderless kits are almost too easy, no mod fun/trouble. Just had to give the new pickups some new foam underneath.

10 Likes

Nice. I’m waiting for the mail person to deliver my EMG MMHZ pickup. Will be doing mine soon.

4 Likes

Hey @Dani, spoke to EMG today, they are awaiting one more component for these and they said they should start shipping in about 2 weeks if all goes well.

4 Likes

Such a great news!!! Thanks a lot for the update!

2 Likes

Okay @John_E you’ve tempted me again (you always do).
Questions:

• Where did you order them?
  • How much are they?
  • What is the level of difficulty in this mod (1-10?

Thanks,

Pam

2 Likes

EMG

$209 for red.
Sold the originals already so subtract what you can get for them.

Solderless!! 100%

You have to snip 1 ground wire from the P pickups taking the originals out as the connector is too big for the hole they have the wire going through.

You will also need:
New foam under pickups or springs (super cheap)
New knobs for solid shaft pots ($21)

4 Likes

@PamPurrs

The other reason I did this is that the aerodyne I just got came with the same EMG pickups as our Bello bass but in black so figured I’d mix it up a little.

3 Likes

Does EMG provide detailed instruction on how to change them, including that bit you mentioned about the knobs and the Pots? This whole thing sounds like it may be outside of my wheelhouse, but detailed instructions would help.

4 Likes

Wiring yes.

Knobs no but I can send a link to the ones I bought. They go on with a screwdriver.

A zero fret is harder.

4 Likes

But if you like your tone now, why spend money?

7 Likes