Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Wha ha ha! It’s done. I spent 30 minutes on it and so far so good. The neck feels great. I guess a graphite fretless musicman neck would have a home here soon. This neck is pretty bad ass too, pun intended, lol.

On the side note. I think the fender bad ass bridge is my favorite one fit and finish is pretty good and plus it’s a cheapest component you can have with the Fender name on your bass :grimacing:

Uploading: 067E7CE4-3C94-4380-A62D-18BE3C54CE19.jpeg…
Uploading: C2154520-D182-45AA-93A6-B75ACD7B77ED.jpeg…
Uploading: 0A8CE8D6-796F-4610-80D0-04C37FBB214C.jpeg…

10 Likes

Yes, correct!
Its funny how every single darn subject/topic/item has this rabbit hole of info, knowledge, stuff to know/collect in it, no matter how minute the detail.

4 Likes

No bass upgrades today, need to add an “r”.
Brass upgrade instead
I upgraded my Soprano sax to this baby…
It’s a completely restored silver plated Conn (of course) from 1928, the hey day of their saxophone years. This was a personal sax of one of the country’s (if not the world’s) top saxophone technicians and he decided to restore it to like new condition and sell it.

So today, brass and silver Vs wood

11 Likes

Looks amazing!

2 Likes

LOVE IT @John_E!! I’ve been working with a local drummer (retired with a studio) in my area and have been in contact with another retired soul who plays sax…. We’re gonna try to get together with him to see where things might go….

7 Likes

Took longer than I expected, but got my new p bass today, and put in the new EMG Geezer Butler pickups, new set of D’Addario ETB 92 black tapewounds, and a Hipshot Kickass bridge.

Having a slight fret buzz issue; they shipped the bass with no string tension. So will check it out in the morning.

So how does it sound? Like a 60s p bass, with more high end range and good clarity. I really like it.

Installation took a while due to my little helper, a cat. But unlike the Jaguar, there was only one cavity, and it was roomy, so I didn’t have to enlarge holes or make any adjustments to the body at all, everything fit.

Downside of EMG pickups, they don’t come with foam, and with their connector system putting a piece on looks like it would conflict with the conntctor underneath the pickup. This wasn’t an issue with the MM pickup from EMG I put in the Jag. But I had a bag of pickup screws and springs on hand and that worked just fine.

3 Likes

That’s how you should ship. Good for them :slight_smile:

The theory is it is easier on the guitar due to temperature changes during shipping. Every guitar I have bought (or sold) via mail has been shipped detuned.

3 Likes

Yeah no complaints, but not going to fiddle with adjustments til I know it’s settled.

I have come to your way of thinking btw. Used is a good way to go. I save money up front, and if I sell it I won’t lose money. I got this at GC so I can have faith in their rating, and returns are easy. Which I’m not doing. here.

4 Likes

Yeah, and as you’ve discovered, it’s not like new basses are always without issue anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like used generally better, not just for value, but for uniqueness, or quirkiness.
I find older things are built better or at least in a more interesting way.
Don’t get me wrong, every mfg has their ‘we got cheap’ period, knowing this is key.
My saxes are all 90-100 years old, can’t quite do that with basses of course.

New basses are more for new technology or if I just love a design and have no patience.

2 Likes

@Dani - update, according to sweetwater the Les Claypool pickups arrive there next week.

2 Likes

Lucky. I’m still waiting for my Steve Harris Seymour Duncan P-pups :rage:

4 Likes

Cool! I will contact Thonman to get their timing! On their website the information of 9 September still unchanged :slight_smile:
This is one of the last pieces I miss for my upgrades!

2 Likes

A little update. I replaced the old, dead strings on the Peavey Milestone with Rotosound RS66LD Swing Bass strings. These are otherwise known as stainless steel round wound cheese graters. Oh, but the noise they make on a JJ bass! Yum.

4 Likes

So, if I can sell off one of my accordions today, I’m going to go snag a Fender Rumble 40, and maybe a 5-string. Or an upgrade for my SR300, maybe an SR500 or something.

4 Likes

Low level upgrade today. GC has a daily special today, two Hercules auto grip stands for $55, so I went and got it. This will enable me to eliminate my cheap A frame stands I use to rest my bass next to my practice seat.

5 Likes

Finally time to get this Fender HMT squared away.

The HMT is a combo P - Piezo pickup active system. Fender really goofed here though as they didn’t buffer the combo so aftermarket piezo buffer/blenders were needed.

This one however, was turned into a passive system by someone thinking they would make it ?better? I guess.

This one also has a 4th hole drilled in it that currently not in use (and not original).

So I’m putting in a Richter buffer and Delano 2-band eq, new pots etc. thanks to Frank at BBG for some awesome customer service in helping me pick the bits. I had them do the pre-wiring (mainly because I got really lazy and I’m swamped at work.

Can’t wait to see what this thing can do.

8 Likes

You know your done when it looks like colorful spaghetti. Now to adjust the buffer.

7 Likes

Next upgrade: rout out a battery compartment for it :slight_smile:

(optional but much nicer IMO. One of my basses had an electrical issue with the battery pushing wires into a pot when the compartment was cramped like that.)

3 Likes

That is actually where the battery goes, original design.
I don’t mind a few screws to change a battery once in a while.

2 Likes