Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

So how to get that?

I know he’s got either fender 63 or Holy Grail for reverb. Aguilar Tone Hammer and a Peavey cabinet. No idea what he’s got for overdrive. Or what a good one is

3 Likes

He might be just overdriving his amp and palm muting, no pedal involved?

Proco Rat 2 Distortion – Thomann Ireland

or a Bass version

Rattler Bass - JAM pedals

The JAM version is :drooling_face: but ball achingly £$€

2 Likes

So here’s my hack on attaching a thumb anchor to an acoustic bass without having to drill any holes in the acoustic bass face. As shown in the photos, the thumb rest is screwed into a small piece of wood that sits under the face while the thumb rest sits on top the face creating a “sandwich” effect. The wood screws do not go through the face at all. A small piece of electrical tape in the area of where the rest is mounted also helps keep the original wood from scratching… This works great and allows me to “Dig In” when I’m plucking as I would using any of my other electric bass’s.

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

13 Likes

a nice and very well done idea ! it looks clean and neat and the “sandwich” mouting is just about perfect. that’s how the soundholes pickups are mounted anyway, we know it works.

great !

5 Likes

Thanks @terb… My electronics on this one are inside the body - much like my other electric acoustic guitars… Works pretty good, however there are times when using a pick on the acoustic bass works even better for a more aggressive attack. I think about 8% 0f our bands set lists are played using acoustic guitars. The tones of an acoustic bass in the mix really sets things off…

5 Likes

yeah, I’ve had an Ibanez acoustic bass but I’ve been kinda disapointed because it can work well only when plugged, because of the obviously too small guitar-sized body. too small to amplify evenly all the strings.

I don’t have this Ibanez anymore, and I chose to replace it with my Ibanez AGBV200A (short scale, hollow body, flatwound strings) in the hope to use it live with a future acoustic band. It’s a different choice ; looks more like a jazz guitar, sounds more somewhere between an electric bass and an upright.

That said, to come back about acoustic basses, it’s true that :

• the tone produced by those instruments is kinda unique, the bronze strings really sound differently, very “folk” indeed
  • on a visual perspective, it matches nicely acoustic guitars in a band ; your Fender looks especially good ! I love the wood grain of the top, and also I love the “0” (pre-drednough) style body shape
  • current piezo pickups have become WAY better than what they were in the 90’s or 2000’s. at the time those things sounded terrible, even the high-end ones. but now you can have a more-than-decent piezo even on an entry-level bass (maybe not the cheapest ones but at least the “real brands” basses)
6 Likes

Great idea!!

3 Likes

Thanks @Reasonably_Happy… Works really well, and is much easier to play plucking style… I was using a pick with it for awhile, but some of the songs we play sound much better using my plucking fingers on the phospher bronze acoustic strings…

6 Likes

Very innovative @Lanny
And good to see you around here.

That looks a real beauty @terb !
Not a hollow body fan but man I could definitely live with that

6 Likes

Thanks @Mac…. Been really busy the last few months and decided to take a break from it all today and work in the garden with Connie instead of learning songs…. I had almost 200 songs to learn over the last couple months and needless to say, my fingers are just about worn out… Couple that with spring clean up on the property, spring turkey hunt season, and everything else going on, there’s just no time left to do anything else.

8 Likes

I have the a couple of the plus models, the stomp HD and the clipon. surprisingly, the clip on perform just as well as the big sisters.

4 Likes

The iPhone app performs perfectly for me with their cable adapter, with the bonus that the display looks even better than the pedal.

4 Likes

Actually, I have that too, lol. It was quite glitchy for a spell. That’s definitely the cheapest and possibly the most accurate of the bunch.

4 Likes

I’m certainly with you on so much to do around the property @Lanny but 200 songs is mind blowing to say the very least!
Enjoy your gardening with your good lady wife. It certainly sounds like you’ve earned it

7 Likes

@Koldunya inspires me with her C5 GT, which has an EMG 40DC pickup at the bridge and an EMG 40P at the neck.

My stream has an EMG 35JX at the bridge and a 35PX at the neck.

35/40 being the length of the soapbar, 4 or 5 string.

What if I swap out the J pickup for a 35DC? Then I’d have a little Stream GT monster

Or put in a second 35PX at the bridge and go Double P. The guy in Ningen Isu uses double P and it’s heavy af

Thoughts

2 Likes

I finally finished my grandsons “Army” Bass… I bought this bass almost 15 years ago for one of my grandsons who passed it on to one of my other grandsons when he left and joined the Army 5 years ago. My other grandson then joined the Army almost to years ago and left it with me along with a couple of his guitars to take carte of while he’s away… Since I always upgrade my bass’s with new electronics, hardware, pickups, bridges, etc, I always have plenty of fairly decent stock parts. This bass has a Yamaha bridge, Fender Precision Pickups and electronics, and a custom “Army” motif. I’ve played this bass on stage and at practices and it plays like a dream! For an old inexpensive Squire Affinity that went through two grandsons who used it in their teen bands, it has become one of my favorites to play…

Here it is when I picked it up before my grandson (the second one to use it) left for the Army…

And here’s the finished product…

Since I’m an old Navy Diesel Submarine Sailor, I couldn’t bring myself to sticking with the Army’s “Black Knight” logo so decided to use “Black Night” instead since I always root for Navy to beat Army in the annual college football showdown… This is just my way of throwing’ a good dig into my Army grandsons… All in fun!!

Oh, for anyone interested in custom waterslide logo’s, I purchase mine from Ronny Taylor of TaylorCreativDesigns (Alabama, USA) who is also a military vet. He does great work and can customize just about anything you may want for any musical instrument.

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

21 Likes

a matching headstock is often a good idea !

6 Likes

Agree @terb Laurent… One of these days I’ll have to find matching paint for my Fender P and my Fender PJ…

5 Likes

That looks great Lanny!

5 Likes

Came out great @Lanny !!!

5 Likes