Upgrade the side markers on my neck

This is my first post so let me introduce myself. I live in a rural part of Canada and I can guarantee you I have the only Fretless bass for miles around.
About 8 months ago I picked up a Player Series Fretless Jazz Bass surprising myself more than anyone else for I am not a big Fender fan.

A Fenders general design is so different from my other basses and I was very surprised at how easy to play it is. I played it live the same week I purchased it. Been told that is not common to do this so yes I agree it was a gifting

I do have some questions about that I will soon ask but right now I have a major issue I need solved. The dots on the side my my neck are a light white and they go invisible when the stage lights go down.
Simply put is there a way to make these dots easier to see ? Thanks Clayton

P.S stickers are not even going to be mentioned
IQ36ESM

2 Likes

I have an Ibanez SR500 that a previous owner converted to fretless and was having a similar problem. I bought some white fingernail polish and used that. In the pic below the brighter dots are the nail polish. I ended up blacking out the other dots to avoid confusion.

3 Likes

Check out Luminlay.

1 Like

Clearly the only reasonable solution is to add LEDs to your bass :slight_smile:

https://fretlord.com

3 Likes

This paint is said to work well:

3 Likes
1 Like

this too https://youtu.be/6u7l7WrqK5w

2 Likes

You made a really decent job of that @joeike

Thank you @Mac.

1 Like

I actually bought this paint for my Ray34 with the dark roasted neck. The black dots were almost invisible. With this paint, I can see them perfectly now.

3 Likes

I am in a similar situation @EddieJones with a Stingray that has a limited run quarter sawn maple neck and fretboard. Which one did you end up buying?

2 Likes

I have the Ray34 in sunburst with the roasted maple neck. I could not see the little black side dots on the roasted maple. So, I bought a teeny tiny bottle of glow-on paint originally used for front sites on handguns to provide a glow in the dark front sight. I put a tiny amount on the side dots, with the toothpick applicator provided, and after it dried, I gave it a brush over with clear nail polish. It works like a charm. The neon green color is so bright. Super visible side dots even in day light. Honestly, it looks as though the factory put in glow-in-the-dark side fret markers. And since you only use such a small amount, it should last for quite a while. My Ray34 just moved back to my number one because now I can see the dots. It is about $11.97 plus tax from Amazon and they sent it out a full week before it was supposed to get here.

4 Likes

Thanks @EddieJones, I’m going to give it a try.

4 Likes

I also used nail polish, good to have had daughters in the house to browse what they had on hand. Since the necks on my two parts-basses are maple with maple boards I chose a dark red glitter polish. In normal lighting the dark color stands out well, and under stage lighting the glitter reflects well. I’ve been surprised by how long these have stayed on, about 2 years now and no need for touch up yet.

Before and after on the two necks.

1 Like

This is my Stingray34 with the glow in the dark paint on the invisible little black dots that EB put on it. I lightly brushed over the top of each one with clear fingernail polish. They actually look a lot better in person, like they came that way from the factory. You can’t really see the clear polish like you can in the picture. Just the glowing dot.

2 Likes