Upright Bass Fans? Players? Let's hang

@Fahri I found the perfect video for you…

1 Like

I love it! Its interesting to go back and learn some of my favorite songs and now that I understand the finger positions - using 1,2,4 fingers… some of these bass lines make sense to me now! They were written for doublebass and they play differently than on electric. Its awesome to expand that knowledge! The bass has been great! No complaints. It actually makes me want to get an acoustic too… but I dont have the room

1 Like

Same here! I actually have the room, it’s the money I’m lacking.

Here’s the latest (and largest) addition to my music room:

It’s a 2013 Eastman that I bought for a very low price from a gal who had played it in her high school orchestra for 4 years and is now attending college in California. She has switched to piano and sold her bass to me along with a padded backpack style gig bag, stand, two French bows, and an assortment of odds and ends. The strings on the bass are upgraded to Flexocor Deluxe, which are very high-quality strings.
She seems to have taken good care of her instrument, as it looks brand new. and it sounds incredible when I played it either pizzicato or arco.
I couldn’t resist!

8 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Very nice @PamPurrs! We need a video of you playing that baby! Just saying… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Congrats Pam!
It’s a bear and beast, but such a lovely looking and - hopefully - sounding thing!

2 Likes

@PamPurrs, what model, pattern, and size is it?

1 Like

It’s a standard 3/4 size Eastman VB80. I don’t know what you mean by “pattern”.

Cool! I like Eastman stringed instruments. I think they offer really good quality for the price.

The pattern is the shape. They offer 4 shapes: Gamba, Violin Corner, Busetto, & Quenoil.

It looks like the VB80 comes in Gamba: A truly classic shape featuring great volume and easy playability.

I have been contemplating getting one, but I think I may try renting one to try out first.

1 Like

When I grow up I want to be Al Rappa

4 Likes

Some useful information for those contemplating adding upright bass to their repertoire,

3 Likes

I didn’t know Philip Conrad had a YouTube Channel.

1 Like

Hey Paul Gilbert plays double bass! :grinning:

5 Likes

For me it was Lee Rocker

LeeRocker3_510x340

3 Likes

More double bass humor…

1 Like

I like the drownining violinist…

1 Like

Have to admit I hadn’t heard of Lee Rocker (my bad), so I did a Youtube search. Came across this slap bass lesson. Now I really want an upright bass.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen his slap lesson before. There’s lots of good upright bass stuff on YouTube.

1 Like

I just received this Lay down style stand from Gollihur. Now, instead of hoisting the bass on and off the stand, all I have do is grab the neck and stand it up when I’m ready to practice, then lay it down when I’m done. I love it!

8 Likes