Upright Bass Fans? Players? Let's hang

Here it’s, I’ll try to make a quiver this evening…

1 Like

Nice bow. It looks French to me though.

I’m definitely not expert on the subject but the difference is quite subtle for a beginner like me

mqdefault

I tried only one French and it was super small on the frog. Also the bit of wood after the frog is quite longer on the German. Maybe it’s not clear on mine due to these tapes that my instructor put.

You can better see how large it’s inside my medium man hands.

While looking for my old shoe making kit I have found this old leather bag (which was the braces of an older leather jacket) that I kept my tools in… I slapped some zip ties and called it a day!

1 Like

Yeah it looks more German when I see you holding it.

Definitely a german bow, and great job on that quiver!

2 Likes

That’s why the French bow hold is different from the German bow hold. There are lots of YT videos that show the difference. The French is definitely easier on my wrist.

It looks much more elegant as well. I heard a lot of people saying that you end up with the one your teacher is using… Which is my case…

I also had an experience yesterday with switching between pizzicato and archetto during a piece (that is why I needed the quiver in the first place.) For me at this point the German hold is easier to grab the bow in heart beat…

1 Like

I added the end pin to my NS WAV so I can play it like an acoustic, independent of the stand.

6 Likes

I’m taking a jazz bowing course, and the instructor teaches to hold the bow while plucking. He plays a French bow.

Wow that sounds like a dream! How is it?

That’s actually quite impressive for me. I tried a bit and failed miserably. Bow was getting in my way and once I dropped it even :person_facepalming:

1 Like

It’s quite good. Im only about 20% through it.

1 Like

@Fahri you may be interested in this YouTube video.

This is super precise! Thanks a lot.

However in my case I play most of the piece in pizzicato and switch to Arco for a little bit. Like for a jazz setting to do a solo (that would be a dream). Or just during the bridge

Is there any video for this course?

1 Like

Its a paid course, but toward the bottom of the page there’s a link to a preview lesson. DisoverDoubleBass has lots of great courses for upright bass.

I really didnt, but it was somewhat of a financial necessity at that moment (similar to selling my BB735). Unfortunately, now that im retired I have more time than money. :smiley_cat:

@onerythym and @joeike how are you liking the NS WAV?

I like mine a lot. I’m still learning proper technique though.

1 Like

Check out Discover Double Bass. Lots of free YouTube videos, plus an assortment of excellent paid courses. They even have a B2B course (Beginner to Bandstand).

Thanks, I’ll check that out. I just signed up for Mark’s Ear Training course so I may wait until I complete that.

1 Like

Excellent course!

1 Like