Upright Bass Fans? Players? Let's hang

LaBella RC610… hands down!

1 Like

Gio, are you exclusively an upright player now?

Awesome! I’ll try these for sure

1 Like

Good move! Be sure to run them to the 4 keyholes on the back of the instrument.

1 Like

Definitely not!
I was touring for a long time exclusively on upright with the band The Brothers Comatose. I left at the end of 2018.
Since then I have had a few upright sessions (that I always try and talk my way out of) but the majority of my bass life has been back on my electric.

As I type this, my gorgeous upright bass, dusty with neglect, is glaring at my back. I can feel the prickles of guilt.

1 Like

Here’s another recommendation for strings. I love GHS Bass Boomers on my bass guitars, and these are made specifically for the NS Designs WAV. I just ordered a set.
I’ve discovered that those LaBella strings I recommended don’t work too well for Arco playing, but are great for pizzicato. I play both.

1 Like

Nice! I have some la bellas on order. when I get around to Arco I will keep these in mind

1 Like

These are great strings and sound awesome when played pizzicato. Unfortunately, they don’t play well under the bow (arco). Since i like to play arco as well as pizz, I had to take them off after only a short time of use.
I’m willing to sell them for $65 including shipping to continental US for only $65.00. They’re like new, and will fit ether a 3/4 acoustic bass or NS Design EUB.
Message me if interested.

I have a question about string height. I feel like the action on my NS WAV 4 might be too low. Measured where the 12th fret would be it’s 5mm on the E and about 2-1/2mm on the G. Any suggestions on how much I should raise them?

1 Like

How does it sound?

It sounds really good but I’m getting a lot of string buzz, especially on the D and G. It doesn’t matter how I pluck the string is still buzzing.

1 Like

You might be getting wolf tone, which is common on upright basses and cellos. You can get wolf tone eliminators at Golihur Music.
I had wolf tone on my E string until I got rid of the stock strings.

If you feel comfortable adjusting the action, raise those strings and see if it helps.
I love very low action on my uprights (hand and muscle issues here) so I’ve had plenty of low action growl and rattle.
Some can be a nice part of the sound, but too much ruins it.

1 Like

It looks like raising them is pretty easy. I want a fairly low action but I’m thinking these are too low.

2 Likes

Today marks the two year anniversary of when I got my first electric upright bass. Now, I’m on my third one.

3 Likes

It’s awesome you went back to that. At the time it seemed like you really didn’t want to sell the first one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello guys! Long time no hear (on my behalf obviously)

I’m so happy that this thread got some juice recently! Congrats to @PamPurrs and all others for coming to the vertical dimension!

I had a terrific 3 months since our first concert with the jazz band in April. I got to play a lot of jazz within many different formations. Had about 7-8 gigs even!

But today I wanted to share something totally out of ordinary.

This is my new band that we cover famous songs from modern era with our really bizzarre instruments for the genre!

https://youtu.be/mz8jtKQvjLI

And here is me playing archetto for the first time in public

In the end I sold my EUB to get some recording gear and PA but honestly I don’t miss it at all!

3 Likes

That’s really awesome @Fahri ! Is that a French or German bow you’re playing? It looks like you’re using a German bow hold, but i can’t tell for sure from that distance.

Thanks! It is German indeed. Quite narrow however. Not like many German bows I have seen on YouTube my instructor has lent it to me until I decide what I like!

I can share a photo of it this evening.

1 Like

Please do!
I play a French bow myself.