Used bass case

Tomorrow I’m going to check out a used bass case at a store that sells used musical equipment. Assuming the case is the right length, do bass cases generally fit any brand of bass? I’ve never bought a bass case before, so I’m rather clueless.

4 Likes

Hard or soft?

My T-bird has a more custom fit soft case, but that’s mostly because of the odd shape. You’ll need to check for length anyway, but you know that.

If it’s a hard case you may want to check the shape if it’s a tight fit that follows a model outline.

3 Likes

Your Yamaha has a pretty classic shape, it should probably fit a lot of standard bass cases. But to be sure, the only way is to bring your bass with you and test if it fits right !

I have a few hard cases and gig bags for both basses and guitars. I prefer gig bags for general use (like go to a rehersal) because they’re way lighter and easier to carry. Hard cases are good for harcore traveling and long-term storage.

3 Likes

Sorry, I should have mentioned, it’s a hard case

2 Likes

@PamPurrs , I just took two pictures of a standard hard case I have, to show you how those things are shaped and how they fit a lot of “classic-shaped” basses. This case is a Gator.

Here’s a picture of the case alone :

And another one with Greenie in it, to show the size and how a bass fits :

For long hardcore travels, I add a piece of foam between the headstock and the border of the case to prevent the bass from moving/sliding. Never had any problem with this technique so far.

'hope it helps !

4 Likes

@terb beat me to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought of that, but I’ve found that driving while practicing my bass is too distracting.

2 Likes

But to be sure, the only way is to bring your bass with you and test if it fits right…

Bringing my bass is impractical,for many reasons. The store did say that if it doesn’t fit my bass, I can return it for full credit.

2 Likes

perfect !

2 Likes