Used Bass Market in Japan?

I’ve noticed there are a few posters with experience in Japan and I was hoping for some Japan specific input. For example are the prices in line with what we see in the States and do they have models/brands that would be more desirable or uncommon back home?

Long story short, I’m likely to be there around the end of the year and if so will have to go through a 2 week period locked in a hotel room for COVID quarantine once I arrive. I was hoping to get a bass to help pass time in the hotel. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to go see it in person, so the whole thing is a little more difficult. Ideally, I’d get something I want/like and take it home with me after the trip. The other option is just to bring something with me, but this way sounded like more fun and I get another bass in the process. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

wattmans is a recycle chain…I have purchased an epi EB3 and an older fernandes bass and spent less than $100 for each and they are wonderful especially for $100. Where are you going to ROM if it is in Yokosuka I’ll shop for you.

5 Likes

Nice! So this sounds promising. I had looked at a few music stores that showed used gear online, but figured there was a lot more out there on the streets.

I’m unclear on the details at the moment. I will be working in Yokohama, but unsure if they will let me stay there the whole time or have to go to Yokosuka first. I’ll be in touch when I know for sure. Any shops with cool stuff I should checkout once I am able to be in the wild?

3 Likes

A little off topic, @Tokyo_Rat, what is the latest from CFAY on the ROM situation?

3 Likes

Up in Tokyo for sure, there’s a major music store district in Ochanomizu plus large stores with used stock all over the city. I’ve bought basses in Shibuya and Ikebukuro, though they were new.

Not sure about down that way though, but @Tokyo_Rat would know.

The used market here is thriving, both in stores and online. Online you will need to have some Japanese skill (or help from a local sitting next to you). Probably the best bet for looking online for major chains is to search on Rakuten (rakuten.co.jp). All of the major chains - Ikebe, Ishibashi, Kurosawa, etc - have online shops there and sell used gear.

The best ebay-like experience here is Mercari. People ship via takkyubin so it will arrive 1-2 days later no matter where in the country it came from. Generally buying used there you’ll get it within a week.

You could also hit the main pages of the larger chain stores and look at their used stuff there.

4 Likes

everyone ROMs for 2 weeks on base…looks like Yokosuka is going to be the new ROM hub

3 Likes

if you are Navy you will ROM in Yokosuka…if you are a contractor you’ll need to work with your company. I think Army is doing their ROM at Zama

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. Lots of places to look. Lots of good options which is why I figured I better start doing some homework in advance.

4 Likes

ROM?

3 Likes

shorthand for: Restriction of Movement, Quarantine, and
Isolation procedures

3 Likes

I’m still waiting to hear from contracting about my next project in Yoko. They had to wait for FY21 funding to drop.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m former military so I can usually decipher the TLAs but that one stumped me.

4 Likes

we are hearing about shortages all the way around because of the money spent on covid responses

3 Likes