Used vs new amp

I saw the great reviews for the Rumble 40 ($199) on Amazon. Came across a used Rumble 150 for $250. I’m a 57 y/o newbie, and don’t plan on gigging just having fun. Looking for advice. What should I look for/watch out for when shopping for a used amp. Thanks

3 Likes

there are several versions of the Rumble amps. only the current version is really interesting, the other ones are … meh …

3 Likes

If it’s just to learn, the 40 is fine. You could gig with the 150, but with used you just don’t know. Really for practicing purposes…it really doesn’t matter what brand or how loud it is.

2 Likes

First of all, welcome to the Forums @daleguillory . . . :slight_smile:

If I were looking at a used amp, I would test it with my own bass. I’d make sure all the knobs function properly, and that there is no damage to the speaker(s). Look for any paperwork (instruction manual, etc.) that may be available with it. Get an idea of what price range you have to work with first.

I’m sure others will share their opinions on this too.

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

For a small amp to practice on I would probably go new. I would also look at a Rumble LT 25. It doesn’t quite have the punch of the 40 but does have a bunch of presets to play with, Rumble is a good line to look at

Amps are big heavy space hogs. When I wanted a new amp I was able to find someone who bought a Rumble 100 with the intention of learning bass, but like most people he didn’t stick with it. A year later he just wanted the thing out of his living room. I got what was essentially a new amp for a steal of a price. Buying music gear with the intention to learn but then not following through on it is a common story, so for entry level home practice type of amps, deals are usually out there to be found.

2 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s advice. The guy with the used amp never replied, so that made my decision easier.