Using Rocksmith 2014 Remastered for practice

Rocksmith 2014 is maybe the reason why I’m learning bass today and also why I’m here.

I didn’t bring it in my presentation post, but I have some (light) musical background from my childhood where my parents tried to make me learn music the “classic” way: solfege lessons, instrument lesson (french horn for me), and even symphony orchestra repetitions and so on.

For various reasons, I globally hated it and I stayed on the fact/impression that playing music just wasn’t for me (which was also fine, since I have developed some honorable skills in other creative fields).

It’s a discussion on a forum that made me aware of this game, and some users even argue that they learned guitar with it, and are now in a group etc.
So I thought: lets give it a try, it’s mostly the “context” of the music school that I didn’t like after all, so I bought a bass, bought Rocksmith, and lets try this again. And if it fails again, well, at least I tried it twice.

Clearly, I have to thanks this little game for making me take this road again.

That was a bit more than a month ago, today Steam says I have 5h logged in, and I’m in the middle of Module 7 of B2B.

What happened?
I realized that even with the (ultra light) lessons included, I wouldn’t go anywhere: the game is fun, but once I plugged back on my amp, my sound was shitty and completely different than when playing in the game, I realized that with this tool alone, I would develop very bad habits and not learn to play properly.
So I took B2B, and I didn’t relaunch the game since. :slight_smile:
(And those lessons - by the way - exceeded all my expectations: the more I play the more I enjoy it, and that wasn’t an easy win on me)

I think that now that I have a better technique and at least some muscular memory, I will maybe launch Rocksmith again, especially now that I’m looking to tablature’s websites to start playing songs, but it’s clearly not enough alone for a pure beginner.

4 Likes

What’s interesting about this thread is that if you see playing music as fun, or as a game, it makes it less likely you’ll give up, from having to do some of the drier or more rigorous aspects of practicing.

Though I haven’t played bass through a video game console, I still see the playalongs, and the jam tracks as a sort of game, hitting the right notes, at the right time, and it sounds good, so it becomes cool & fun.

Right now I’m trying to see getting into rhythm as a game. Just hitting the note at the exact right time, to a beat. 1…2…3…4

And then, if you can do it, it’s like a feeling you “won” something. And even if you don’t do it, oh well, no real harm, just hit the reset button and start over, until you “win” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It’s almost like if you see practicing that way, it doesn’t feel like “practice.”

2 Likes

bump, since its currently on sale at steam till 11 May

no more new dlc releases

rocksmith to tab

1 Like

I own this for Xbox but never use it. I’m not a huge fan of just having notes scroll at me and trying to keep up, it is kind of fun as a game, but I don’t find it to be a good learning tool (for me, everyone learns differently). It does have some cool features that I would prob play around with more if I could solve the issue with the delay. There is a good 1/2 to 1 second delay between playing a note and hearing it in the game which is what really kills it for me. It would be more fun without that.

1 Like

hey thanx for this, rich. never saw this before, ordered it for my ps4.

1 Like

I have it as well. I think I got it for myPs4 in 2014. I’ve probably played it 10+ hours. It is pretty fun, but I struggle with the guitar hero—like graphics. Back then, I thought it was going to offer more instruction content like B2B.

No comparison. Thanks for the fine work Josh!

There is some latency as well, but if I remember I was able to adjust that down a bit, and run my signal through a DI box to create my own pre-mix monitor into a small practice amp. Then, I had the PS4 through my stereo. That was pretty sweet as I remember.

I guess I should try it again!

Also, for all of you that have it… that real tone cable should allow you to play bass into a PC or Mac. I actually used mine for a while before I got an Audio Interface. I’ve used the cable a lot more than the actual game.

Best.

2 Likes

Rocksmith 2014 is on sale on the PS4 right now for $5.99, so I got that yesterday. I had ordered the cable before. Once I inverted the strings to put the E on the bottom (on the screen I mean), it’s not bad. It doesn’t have quite the feel of playing bass, because I find it a little bit hard to hear myself in the mix, and I think there’s a tiny latency. I think if you just learn to play bass by Rocksmith, you would probably have a pretty janky sound. But it’s a fun video game and gets a little practice moving your fingers around, and you might learn some songs. I think it is best paired with some more deliberate, “real” playing practice where you listen to yourself carefully and get some technique guidance.

3 Likes