Veteran Advice For Joining a Band/Performing Live

i’m in I’ll give it a shot

2 Likes

Shoot something my way if you want.

1 Like

I will…working now I’ll blast you something when I roll out

But it’s there for me to send the link to any interested party to see what I’m all about, the same way I did when I was working in the media all those years.
If they like what they see/read/hear they can take the next step; if not, they can move on and save us all wasted time.

2 Likes

It’s one avenue. What did you think of the other ways you can start find ways to play with others and get closer to your dream?

2 Likes

Love this thread! I’ll contribute below, but the quote above is HUGE and cannot be overstated.

3 Likes

I guess resurrecting this is better than making a new whole ass thread.

I made an account on Bandmix last night. And then mostly collapsed internally, freaked out and had an anxiety attack, and then went to bed :sweat_smile:

It doesn’t help that Bandmix shows you musicians local to you, and 2-3 of them were bass players with vastly more experience, better gear, etc. I know gear isn’t everything, and my “stuff” isn’t a slouch, it was mainly the skill levels that kinda had me going “well fuck…”. And most of the people around my skill level are… very young XD Don’t want to deal with all that, either.

But it’s a start, at least. I also found a “groove metal” band that’s pretty close by, but the thought of having to “try out” and be judged is not a fun one right now XD

3 Likes

That bandmix is pretty cool. Hope you get lucky!

1 Like

This is the Impostor Syndrome in full swing.
You know anything about guitar playing?
Do you know that the guy whom Yngwie Malmsteen called “God, but from another planet”, about whom John McLaughlin said “if I understood what he was doing, I’d steal it all” and whom Eddie Van Halen called “winner and still champion” genuinely considered himself a hack?

Another example. I was once having a smoke on a platform where Anton Davidyants and Frans Vollink were battling out who was the better bass player. Frans said to Anton “you’re so much better than I am”, and Anton responded “NO! No man… you do stuff that I could never do!”
And there I was, possessing 0.2% of the collected bass talent on the platform, saying “whoa, I didn’t know it was a contest!”

They were both right, in a way. Yes, they both bring stuff to the table on bass the other one can’t.

Another example. Byron Fry, who was kind of in a rut after his ego was sufficiently thrashed by Allan Holdsworth (without Allan, who “couldn’t play a thing” knowing about it), was asked to play on someone else’s album. When he said “Ya sure? There’s so many better players you could ask”, he was answered “well, you’re the best Byron Fry I know!”

Trust yourself. You have something to bring to the table that others haven’t. If that fits in, it fits in.

1 Like

In the documentary The Quiet One, about Bill Wyman of the Stones, he raves about meeting his all-time hero, Ray Charles. Then says that, when Ray asked him to come play bass on a recording, he said no — he didn’t think he was good enough.

2 Likes