Victor Wooten Must Watch Video

Which video? The detuned one?

The “Playing wrong notes with Victor Wooten” one.

2 Likes

He loves playing notes that are out. I think his point is that you can play wrong notes and recover just as easily. I was really impressed with this short lesson!

5 Likes

Ow, the good old “it’s not a bug but a feature” excuse :joy:

3 Likes

If you mean the moment when he tries to make the guy with the guitar sound bad, yes it definitely didn’t match but I think that was his intent but also make it seem like the guitar was the one on the wrong key… I’m not sure the he accomplished that later part IMO, but it certainly sounded wrong, mismatched, I wouldn’t say the bass or guitar was off

1 Like

Sorry guy’s, maybe I’m completely Noob or ignorant but it sounded shit to me… Not sure why I “must watch” a video that shows that if you are playing something different to other guys in the band it sounds bad… I kind of knew that already

5 Likes

It’s more about the nuances and the words he says rather than his playing as a whole. When it comes to Victor Wooten, he is not my personal music taste, but I think he is very wise when it comes to the roll of a bassist. I also appreciate how technical of a player he is. Just my opinion though, we are all different. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey man, points for your honesty! :slight_smile:

So, I won’t go into the ‘point of the video’ I think you got that even if you didn’t like what was played. I will say you kinda proved its point, though – a lot of “good playing” is highly subjective or experiential. Is he wrong? I didn’t think so, but someone else might. I think that’s the message.

I LOVED this video. Reminds me of the teachings in a book – “The Listening Book”, when he encourages the students to sit on that bad note for a minute and think about it, before leaving it. That book is here: Amazon.com

3 Likes

I happen to love this video as wel, first time seeing it.
Brings a lot of interesting things I had not thought of.
Maybe I just don’t know a lot (well that is obvious anyway) but there are things in there I don’t think I will ever forget.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip Chordsykat! You might appreciate this book from Victor Wooten too: Amazon.com

3 Likes