Vintage lessons

I just stumbled upon this video clip from a BBC show from the early 1980s. My first instruction came from this show when I was still at school.

It’s worth checking the series out for a little insight into the band structure etc, despite it being quite old. One bonus is some of the people they got to give tips. Check out John Entwistle in this clip: close-up on his right hand is enlightening and stunning.

12 Likes

John Entwistle is my man . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

This should be a clip in the advanced course from Josh…

3 Likes

John Taylor in there too!

3 Likes

There are some amazing bass players in this video. Nice find @petep

2 Likes

They all talk so clearly and enunciate every word… then Robbie Shakespeare comes along :joy:

Entwistle’s technique is impressively varied!

4 Likes

I can’t get it to play. Can you provide a link?

Edit: I found it. Here’s the series on YouTube… (1959) Rockschool - Legendary BBC series, started in 1983 - YouTube

7 Likes

Thanks Eric!

2 Likes

I started watching it from the beginning, and now I’m going to write to the BBC pleading with them to repeat this show (even if it’s on a lesser channel at 2am) or make it available online. I’ll also ask them to make a new one so that millions of kids around the world can see that talent shows on prime time tv aren’t the normal way to get into the business or to make music.

I love/hate that in the opening credits the last musical style is “future”: many of here will remember that arriving, and passing. [Gulp]

1 Like

I could not stop watching it as soon as I saw the G&L bass on Episode 1. Thank you for posting this.

2 Likes

You got me on that one Pete. This is the first I’ve heard of it.