Volume control with Fender Jazz

Question for you guys, I have a Fender Jazz which you know doesn’t really have a “main” volume control. How do you guys control volume. Ex: Soul to Squeeze song RHCP - there’s an intense part on the bass coming out of the guitar lead where I want to really pump on the volume.

What do you guys do in this situation. So far, all I can figure is I may need a volume pedal or just learn how to skillfully adjust “both” volume knobs so I keep the same tone but only turn up or down the volume. Hope this makes sense and would love to hear any other solutions.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Think a volume pedal is the way the go.

8 Likes

You don’t really need any more knobs or buttons to do that, @James2 . . . :slight_smile:

Just quickly reach down and give one or the other or (or both) pickup knobs a tweak until you get the volume you want. If you want it a little brighter, tweak the bridge pickup. If you want it more deep and bassy, then tweak the neck pickup.

Like everything else, it just takes some time and practice . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

I have a compressor on my pedal board with a gain knob I use to tweak the output of the bass. Get the tone right on the bass and adjust the gain (or volume) on the pedal or amp

I hear you though, I have a bass with very soft spoken pickups

2 Likes

Yes you’re right, @Paul . . . I didn’t mean to imply any more knobs or pedals were useless.

If you really WANT to go that route, it’s perfectly OK . . . especially if you have another GAS attack . . . :wink:

It’s just simpler to tweak a knob, IMO

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Volume pedals are fun to have anyway.

If you want to lean into things in a more Flea-esque way, just play light and soft and slick for the verse/chorus/guitar solo parts, and when that sweet riff comes in after the solo, play hard!! I’m pretty sure Flea does the volume swell with his right hand.

Either way would be worth trying, I think.

8 Likes

No worries. There is no right or wrong. There are many options.

5 Likes

Any suggestions for a good volume pedal (passive preferably)?? Thanks!

3 Likes

Can recommend Dunlop DVP. I use the mini DVP4 :ok_hand:

3 Likes

The only one I ever used was the Ernie Ball - the big one.
I had two. One worked great, the other, not so great.
So… that’s a lukewarm endorsement over here.

I’m sure there have been new makes and models in the decades since I purchased mine.
And, I haven’t had mine as part of my live rig for a good decade and a half.

4 Likes

Thanks for chiming in with your experience, @Gio :smile:

3 Likes

lol - happy to be so definitive and helpful, as ever!!

4 Likes