VOX amPlug 2 Bass Headphone Amp

There are different channels/modes available that you can change between by pressing the power button.

3 Likes

The light is not the battery level but the GAIN. Short press to power button changes between 3 different levels. Green is the highest gain.

@eric.kiser did you return yours in the end?

5 Likes

@Fahri Yes. I sure did. With the technical problems I was having and that I never got a sound I really liked, I had to let it go.

2 Likes

Been using the Amplug for a while now and I realized that I could use it to make VT Bass Preamp have a headphone out. This is an awesome way for me to practice AND still sound like I want to sound. So very happy this idea came to me

9 Likes

Man I loved my VT Bass DI. Fantastic sounding preamp.

3 Likes

If you get a adapter cord to go from the Amplug (female 6mm) into the VT (Male 6mm) Bass, anywhere from 6" to 6" of length, depending on how closely attached you want to be, it would probably be safer for you. A good yank could break the Amplug off into the VT Bass, and that would not be so fun.

Aside from that, awesome Idea, and there is probably no limit to what pedals you could chain up to run into the Amplug.

2 Likes

Hi Eric, I finally solved the buzz problem and the very low volume from my bass. I connected
a normal electrical flex wire from the tone pot on my guitar to a double male 1/8" jack into the input port on the Vox unit! How I figured that out, donā€™t ask me, but it works!
I can also simply plug a bluetooth receiver over the double male Vox input jack to play music to jam to. This avoids the terrible noise my phone makes when plugged into the Vox unit.

6 Likes

@Doodlenut - Thereā€™s a grounding problemā€¦. If this only happens when you use the Vox, then it sounds like the problem could be in the VOX. If it also happens when you are plugged directly into the bass, then the grounding problem could be elsewhere.

3 Likes

I solved this issue by buying a NUX and ditching the Vox, too noisy for me!

4 Likes

Iā€™m with @John_E on this one. Also the tone knob is practically useless on the VOX amplug. Above 3 and it starts hissing at me. Iā€™m running it mainly with passive basses.

Iā€™m okay with having a VOX Amplug as a gadget, but I personally think the units are flimsy and I also find the typical ā€œbassā€ sound a bit lacking. Compared to my preamp + DG Element the difference in sound is night and day. I have a hard time accepting that people are impressed with the sound of the Amplug but maybe my unit is faulty or I am just spoiled playing on good preamps and cabsims.

I would most definitely buy a NUX over Amplug. For just 25 dollars more you get a lot more useful features imo.

3 Likes

The problem with the pricing on the NUX is you can spend just a little more and get a Zoom B1four, which is a much more capable choice in almost every way (besides Bluetooth) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah the B1four is good for sure and has also better sound quality than the Amplug. I keep forgetting that the Zoom can run on batteries. I do like the mobility aspect of the Amplug/NUX and the fact that you can plug in wired headphones without adding extra extension cables.

3 Likes

Maybe yes maybe no. Youā€™d have to try it.

I guess one of the things that comes with being a senior is knowing some of the old tricks we used to use 30-40 years ago that seem to have been forgotten now :slightly_smiling_face:

Before ferrite beads, also called chokes, were easy to get we used to tie three single knots spaced about an inch apart in the lines. This is akin to adding inductors and sometimes worked to eliminate or at least cut down on the line hum. Just a thought.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not impressed with mine, either. I prefer my Shure headphones :headphones: plugged into the Zoom B1X Four for practicing

2 Likes

@Doodlenut Welcome to BassBuzz!

That is some seriously inspired engineering!

2 Likes

A TIP. I often use my VOX this way to have a beat, specially when the computer, amp, etc. are already turned off.

5 Likes

Yeah, same here, I get some buzzing if I have the aux AND headphones connected, but I find I can usually make it stop by fiddling with all my cables, double checking that everything is tight, no cables crossing, etc.

FYI this is an issue with my Blackstar amplug, not my Vox amplug - but theyā€™re essentially the same under the hood, just with a few different beats and tones.

3 Likes

I got rid of my Vox because of the noise ans went to a Nux, then sold that ans went to the Boss Waza Air. Both steps up

3 Likes

I found the vox very noisy too. Like a constant hiss if you turn up the volume.

4 Likes

Same here! I returned it for the same reason.

3 Likes