Wacken 2023 Experience

Greetings fellows,

This year was something special, as Wacken happened during heavy rains and extremely wet conditions. There are around 85,000 people who usually attend, and at least a third of them was not able to come this year. I wasn’t planning to park on the grounds, and I am so happy I left the bike at a friend’s place in Bremen.

I was fortunate to make it in late on Tuesday just hours before further arrivals were excluded from entering. We camped on an airfield ca. 16 km (10 miles) from the festival grounds.

So, instead of camping in the mud, I was lucky to get 60+ minutes of bus riding every day. Oh, and add a few hours of waiting and walking to the bus, too. Can’t complain though, I was there!

For me, the draw is usually to watch as many bands as possible and to meet my friends; it’s a kind of family vacation. My highlights this year were Lord of the Lost, 0% Mercury (from Ukraine), Iron Maiden (it was fun in the mosh pit, if not their greatest show ever), and While She Sleeps. :metal:

Honourable mentions to Mr Hurley und die Pulveraffen (Pirate “Rock”), they were so much fun in the front row - and had a great bass sound! A classic folk band that plays drinking and dancing songs (true metal fan’s might need a rum before listening). :innocent:

Of course, there were almost 200 other bands, but wading through the mud made it hard to watch everything you wanted to see.

So, this was this year’s festival season for me. I have a cold, my boots still stink of cow dung… But it was worth it!

Back to practicing!
Cheers,
Antonio

14 Likes

Awesome! And great shot - hat, kilt, boots, mud, metal shirt - that pic is a keeper :rofl:

4 Likes

The kilt was a bold choice in those conditions… you can’t go too low, if you know what I mean. Was my first time trying that, both of my buddies were rocking it, too, so I kinda had to :laughing:

3 Likes

So jealous here @antonio .
I would love to go to Wacken

3 Likes

Amazing.
I heard about the rains.
Seeing that photo makes it so very real!!

4 Likes

It’s hard to describe how bad the situation was for some people! Like I said, I was in a dry camp ground, so I count myself lucky.

But, some people were camping in low spots where the water pooled and the only “dry” ground was under the tent. The shuttle bus stop had an entrance to the campground which nobody used after day one because it got too muddy. Kinda like liquid sand. Here’s a video of walking through there:

@Mac One day you might go, and if you do, just say hi. I’m one of the guys in black t-shirts. :wink:

3 Likes

Did you see whatever was going on with Lemmy’s ashes?

2 Likes

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately, I didn’t see the end result. There’s the Landgasthof Wacken which has an exhibition of metal memorabilia, that’s where you could see the urn throughout the week. I have no idea where it is now, it’s supposed to go on the infield.

Cheers,
Antonio

3 Likes

incredible.
I was playing Wakarusa festival in Arkansas here in the US one year. We showed up a day after a torrential storm.
The whole festival looked like a junkyard for broken tents and shade structures.
Everything was mud.
We were very lucky to be there the day after.
I lost a flip flop to the mud.
It wasn’t like that though…

3 Likes

May it rest in peace. :thong_sandal: My buddy lost his navy boots to attrition, the leather ripped apart. He bought new ones and got blisters galore. I am impressed that he didn’t slow down partying at all. :metal:

Wakarusa sounds like a great festival (provided there’s no storm). Although, wasn’t there this Ozark show where they smuggled drugs and nixed people all the time? :thinking: :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds awesome!
I heard While She Sleeps this year in June, it was awesome!
Festivals aren’t really my case, tho. I like to attend a concert and have it over with in 1-4h and go home in peace. ^^"

2 Likes

@Neak Usually, I’m the same. Wacken is too big for me anyway, but the only way to really spend a week alone with my friends. Their kids are slowly getting into music and sometimes even metal… :eyes:

4 Likes

This is when you know it’s bad. One time I got caught out in a flash typhoon-like storm in Shanghai, worst rains they had seen in decades; the drainage was overwhelmed fast and the street turned in to basically a disgusting urban detritus sludge flow about ankle deep. Everyone was out in work clothes, which for me at the time meant dress shoes, which each popped off at various points. Made it back to the hotel with both somehow, immediately threw them both away anyway on the way to the shower, and just rolled with sneakers for the rest of the trip, which I infinitely preferred anyway.

Metal-fest mud would have been way better :rofl:

4 Likes

Sounds like what it looks like after any given Roskilde Festival (with or without the rain)… everybody buys cheap junk and nobody takes anything home with them :grimacing:

2 Likes

Every festival has the single-use trash problem, but Wacken has - in my opinion - a pretty good waste management. They put huge containers around the campsites where people throw away stuff like chairs, sofas, and pavilions. I think the festivals are starting to get wise to the cost of removing waste.

We tried to pick up after ourselves and didn’t throw away camping equipment:

7 Likes

I was involved in the clearing up during and after a large festival in the UK .
It was actually pretty good fun over the 5 days we spent picking up after people and emptying bins but the amount of tents, sleeping bags and other associated equipment we disposed of once the last people left was quite mind blowing

2 Likes

For some good drum and bass lines, I highly recommend the Austin Reggae Festival. Only $50 for three days of music, and the weather is usually perfect!

Andrew.

2 Likes

hehehe ive been for the last 14 years apart from covid times …im lucky that my mrs lives in Itzehoe so easy for us , we eat properly , shower and have a warm comfy bed to kip in every night but this year the weather was purely … we stayed at home . its our age we blame it on … the mud is a huge problem esp in a wheel chair … but hey glad you had fun … WacKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEN

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed Maiden!!

2 Likes

WACKEN!! :metal: Great to hear that you went with your wheel of steel, @RichBass72 !

2 Likes