Wall hanger hardware

I’m about to put a couple of wall hangers up for my basses onto what I believe is a plasterboard wall. The hangers came with plugs and screws but they look mighty puny to me and I’m considering using small bolts to mount the hangers to a decorative board. This will then be mounted to the wall using a system specifically for plasterboard. Am I over doing it or playing safe?
What have you guys used for your hanging brackets?

4 Likes

Maybe, maybe not.
I personally would try drywall screws/screw anchors first and decide depending on the result. Something like this

4 Likes

Yeah that the ones I’ve got . I’ve just realised I could use them without a board :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Over thinking and stressing about nothing is certainly a symptom of my “condition “ :flushed:

2 Likes

The decorative board is a splendid idea, and is exactly what I would do in that situation. I would use my electronic stud finder to locate studs under the drywall, and attach the board using 1 1/2 or 2" lag screws into the studs. I’d counter drill the holes in the board so the heads of the lags would not be sticking out.

4 Likes

You could also use something like this, the wing nut gets pushed thru the hole then expands inside the wall.

2 Likes

I’ve used those drywall screws in the past, but only for something lightweight. I doubt that I would trust them to support my precious basses.

5 Likes

The toggle bolt would work also, and is capable of supporting more weight. But, I still think the horizontal support board screwed into the studs would look the best and provide maximum support. That’s the route I would go, for sure.

6 Likes

Decision made and a decorative board it is :+1: Thank you for your help.

It will actually fit in more with the decor of the “office” too

5 Likes

@Mac

I would only trust wall studs. I used Hercules mounts that have little levers that automatically open and close using the weight of the instrument. (So no chance of falling)

*edit: haha, see that you’ve already solved your issue! Congrats!

6 Likes

Thanks @lee_editorial

4 Likes

@lee_editorial love the picture
Jamie

3 Likes

Just as long as your decorative board is fixed to the studs, not just the plasterboard.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I instructed him to do, in my earlier comment.

4 Likes

I used these and it worked beautifully.

5 Likes

@mmrunyan1
Another option. :+1: Thanks for that. I still haven’t gotten round to it yet but I really must.

2 Likes