Wanna sound like Geddy

Hello bassmates.

A gray 2021 day here in Pennsylvania. Module 9 is going well, and now I’m relaxing by listening to Rush’s Limelight. Geddy Lee’s strongly mid-range, gritty tone is fantastic.

My question is this: What knobs and buttons to I have to tweak to at least get a little growl and grit?

I have a Sterling StingRay 4HH and a Fender Rumble 40 amp. Love the setup for its mellow, deep tone - especially on the E and A strings. But sometimes I crave a bit more ‘edge’. Thanks for any helpful hints.

-Ken

4 Likes

Try turning the stingray pickup selector towards the bridge pickup, and turn up midrange on the EQ. And overdrive on the amp (or a pedal.)

3 Likes

I am nt as familiar with the set up of the Stingray basses but I run a squire Jbass and my neck pick up sits at about 70% and the bridge is at max, tone I find the squire has a lot of tinny sounds on the higher strings so I rolled the tone back a good bit. If I am recording I run my amp through a DAW until it starts to clip and back it off a little. Then I play with some attack on the strings and get a good growl when needed. Geddy always used a DI set up which if you are using a program like logic pro on iMac you can actually find online a setting on the amp selector for DI amp and tweek it pretty good. There is one site that will give you a starting point. While I just covered rush in the post your covers thread I used my TC electronic amp to get the sound I wanted

3 Likes

Geddy uses Tech-21 Sansamp…and now has his signature pedal from them. That would probably be the easiest way to get there.

4 Likes

On the one hand I’m tempted to say that will be hard to do with a ray. Otoh, he kept pretty much the same sound with a fender and a ricky, which I can’t think of two more different basses. So yeah, if you can swing it I think the easiest solution would be the sansamp geddy pedal.

2 Likes

Yeah. Though honestly a lot of his tone does kind of just sound like a normal J-bass to me.

Now how he got THAT out of a Rick…

1 Like

I think it’s just a midrangy distorty thing.

1 Like

I’m willing to bet rolling his 'ray to the bridge, boosting mids, and getting a little warm overdrive going will get close.

Geddy, in his own words, is an “obnoxious bass player”. It might help to think of yourself in those terms to get the sound your looking for.

4 Likes

Thanks, good people.
I tried Howard’s initial suggestions, working with the gear I have. That was a big step in the right tonal direction.
I then went back to the Module 9 dynamics lesson and played ‘obnoxiously’. (Although, as fellow Torontonians, Geddy and I have to really concentrate to get there.)
And the Geddy pedal…sigh… That’ll have to wait until I someday escape the guest bedroom and start jamming with other human beings.
Great suggestions all. Many thanks.
-Ken

4 Likes