Warm Up Routine

Interested to see how everyone warms up.

I’m only on Module 7, but have started to go through the notes on the neck followed by the much loved Billie Jean as my warm up routine.

What do you do?

What do you suggest I include in my warm up routine?

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @UK-Shaun . If you click on the magnifying glass on the upper right of the forum (to the left of your avatar), you’ll be able to search for posts based on topic or other things.
Here’s one that’s already been posted about warming up.

4 Likes

try this out @UK-Shaun
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

This early on I just run the scales Josh has hit us with, and some of the lessons that gave me trouble (dang Papas got a new bag) then go on with whatever I planned for the day which for this month is just noodling songs in the 50 song challenge (I’m up to .5 song challenge) while waiting for the next “how to record yourself zoom”. Yesterday I poked myself in the eye with my flying fretting pinkie.

2 Likes

5 min scales/finger exercises: 5 Levels of Bass Finger Exercise (Beginner to Advanced) - YouTube
5 min groove workout - will come up later in the course

I actually started timeboxing my warmup time after I noticed if I do it open ended I end up “warming up” until I have to take a break.

3 Likes

My practice routing consists of:-

Permutations.

Permutations but doing ghost notes and hammer ones and pull offs.

An exercise using one finger per fret going up the fretboard to a metronome in 16th notes, and up the fretboard in triplets. I do this because it serves 2 purposes: helps my muscle memory for fretless, and it’s good for counting 1-e-an-a and takadimi and triplets(ta ka ta).

Scales from lowest note on B or E string to 12th fret on the C or G string for ionian, aeolian, mixolydian, and locrian modes (I’m never going to need or use phrygian or lydian, and dorian is just aeolian #6).

An exercise where I play 2 notes together then separately, going up and down the scale in 2nds, 3rds,…,octaves. I’m not sure if the exercise has a name, but it’s a listening exercises to hear the sounds of double stops and intervals.

I don’t do anything, I just start playing songs. I used to have a routine but really haven’t done much in the way of dedicated warm-up in a year or so.

That doesn’t mean I don’t need to warm up, it just means I don’t do anything special any more.

I used to do scales and some riffs like Billie Jean but stopped when I realized I don’t like Billie Jean at all :slight_smile:

If I were to do anythign now it would be the spider walk and scales.

4 Likes

Different every day.
I’ve got a menu of things from my instructor.
I add things to the menu I stumble on along the way (like the Rich Brown metronome and ghost note video exercises, they are both great btw.
I generally have a mark smith course in flight (although has been back burnered by bass instructor stuff of late)
I’ve got songs I’m working on at any given time.
When I sit down I pick what I feel like doing or if I owe my instructor a video I do that work.
It may not be super efficient but it keeps me interested if I choose what moves me each time I sit.

1 Like

This is a good one. I saw it once in a John Patitucci instruction video from the 90’s. Could not do anything else he was doing beyond that.

1 Like

When I was doing B2B I didn’t do anything special because I was always starting with a slow lesson.

Now, I usually play through whatever song I’m working on about 25% slower than I’ll be playing through it that session. Right now unless I’m working on progression pieces, it’s a waste of my time that I could be watching YT :joy:

For warm-up you can play scales, intervals, arpeggios and anything else you’re going to be working on slowly. I usually do that sort of stuff for about 10 or 15 mins first thing in the morning or before I go to bed.

A guy on Reddit a while back posted his routine and every session started with like 45 mins of scales arpeggios, intervals etc and then he finally got to playing warm-up pieces…then like 90 mins in he got to working on trying to learn something new. I was like holy crap man, that is a huge waste of time and effort lol. That is why people post that they’re in a rut and not making any progress. I get more done in 20-30 mins. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Mike from art of guitar starts with that right at the beginning of his guitar course.

1 Like

I’m kinda not sure ‘how’ to do so…since I’m still new at it, I always wondered what would be a ‘good’ kinda warm up deal. I usually start with some charts I found online, with arpeggio’s and Bass scales, atleast the ‘major’ and ‘natural minor’. Then the notes on my Fingerboard, via chart as well. Only thing that’s ‘not’ a chart is two favorited songs I been practicing. I dunno…that’s about it, and that’s usually a hour or so…or I get so lost in it time just flys and it’s just…time for bed, lol

1 Like

I don’t have a set routine, but I tend to do songs. I often start with Feel Good Inc. to get my thinking on a groove. Then I’ll do a 12 bar blues line, and then some intervals. At this point I will play Iron Man, and finish off with Born under a Bad Sign.

I sometimes switch basses and do it again. If I do nothing else that day, I’ll do this.

To me this warms up all I need to be doing right now. I have some stretching of the fingers, I’m playing all the strings, moving up and down the fretboard, and I have some syncopations in there so I’m reinforcing the groove part of my brain.

My teacher has me started on ghost notes now, and showed me how to do harmonics, so now I’m on the lookout for songs with both to add them in.

Julia did a warm up video

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

I stopped doing warmups a while ago because they were boring and discouraged me from picking up the bass. Nowadays I just do some quick finger/wrist stretches and then go for it.

4 Likes

Advil and a splash of bourbon in my coffee — warmed up :grinning:

7 Likes

Hey all,
I use the 4th fret spider walk and I am also using it as my plucking training as it helps me remember to use index middle fingers. I am only getting use to plucking as I was using a pick before starting these Modules. With 4th Fret spider walk means I start with Right hand Index on E4 fret and go down to 7th Fret with pinky backwards and forwards.
It might help me remember finger memory. :sunglasses:

1 Like

This guy gets it :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes