We Can ALL Do It

Hello And Happy July

So I haven’t been out and about in two years for obviously good reason. Yes, this is my own choice for sure.

My buddy Robert from down under flew over to the states for a visit and forced my Happy A$$ to accompany him to our local brewery. This place is beautiful, very modern, and two rolling garage doors that overlook the patio area.

A live band was playing nothing more than a wedding band set. All recognizable cover tunes from James Brown to Rolling Stones. They sprinkled in a few cuts by Tom Petty, Pointer Sisters, and the ever so famous Up Town Funk by I don’t recall the artist at this moment in time.

Being a yahoo beginner bass noodler , I focused on the older gent on the bass. I kid you not, he camped out on the Root, The 5th, And the Octave. Every song was like this and that pattern worked during every tune. Every now and then, I caught the 12 bar sequence.

When ever the band began to build towards a transition, the bassist would stop playing, watch the drummer closely, and then came in on the BOOM. Amazing

Maybe it was the healthy dose of Oats, Wheat, And Barley but my confidence was soaring!! When they broke out " Give Me Some Lovin" , we can all play that. When I heard “Hound Dog” , we can all play that. “My Girl” , we can all play that. “Some Kind Of Wonderful” Are You Joking, WE can ALL play that.

My point is this

We can all bring our musical talents to any situation. We can all lock in with a kick drum, ride high on the simple root notes, and sound like professional bass players. We can all play to the beat and when the tempo ramps up, wait for the drummer and come in on the BOOM.

Remember , we can all do it
Cheers

P.S. @PamPurrs , Sending Positive Vibes

26 Likes

@travis.thepadre.reed

You are correct, sir. The fundamentals are the bedrock of playing, and they can take you very, very far. Glad you had a fun and inspiring time. Rock on!

10 Likes

This is so true! I started playing at church just over a month after I started B2B and basically just camped out on the root. I got lots of complements on my playing. As I have learned more over the years I have added to that. But the point is that you can be a competent player just sticking to the fundamentals.

10 Likes

Brother @MikeC ,

I did have fun and feeling rather inspired. So many times, in my own mind, over thinking what should come next. Or do I fit in??

Keeping it elementary opens doors and ideas. I began messing around today with some simple Blues Box Patterns and threw in a leading note just for fun after the 3 bar. Felt Like A Rock Star

Cheers

3 Likes

Good On You Brother @joeike ,

Not brave enough to play in front of others. Let along, A Group Of People!!

I am looking for to exploring while staying true to my principles and keeping in simple S***** KISS

The whole idea of working in roots and octaves without feeling disco like sounds fabulous. I enjoy the disc tracks but they are a bit too fast of a tempo for me.

My goal this week is to simply review the easiest cover tunes here in the Bass Buzz 50. Slow down, create clear sounds, and pay attention to that kick drum.

We Can All Play This,
Cheers

4 Likes

Less can be more. :+1: :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

And that, is why I failed calculus.

5 Likes

Wait, it’s possible to fail calculus?:joy:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t know. I dropped out. :rofl:

It’s a right brain/left brain thing. :nerd_face:

1 Like

That’s what i mean. Mostly because i was way to into herbal therapy to get down with heavy math. Only math i needed was i got 4 bucks and that is 2 burritos…

3 Likes

That and about 10 bucks or so for a lid.

At least, back in the day.

2 Likes

This is true, after a year and a half of playing i got my first oppertunity to play with a band last night. I played mostly roots and octaves some slides, some 12 bar format. I got tobs of compliments on my timing and technique and thats what other players appricated the most, my neck knowledge helped them help me play whatever they were going to play. I pulled the rhythm from the lead guitarist and the drummer. It was a MAJOR confidence builder. WE CAN ALL DO IT! CHEERS

6 Likes

Strange - I went to see Scary Pockets last night and almost got depressed. The bassist (Nick Campbell) was so good - the mix was great, you could hear him all the time…and his notes were so fast and clean. It was kind of sad, how huge the distance was between his abilities and my own. Though he was up there, having a blast (Scary Pockets in general seems like a band having a ton of fun all the time) and that part was just as important. I’m having as much fun when I play - I just need to practice another 20 years to get to the same level. But the fun is there and it’s great to see that doesn’t need to diminish over the years.

3 Likes

I’m the exact opposite, I watch covers of Bassbuzzers in the ‘Post Your Covers’ thread by people like @Ed , @John_E @JerryP etc who’ve been playing a few more years than me and I can see the future. Head down, put in the hours and it’s achievable. There’s nothing Rocket Sciencey (yeah that’s a real word) just practice and lots of it!

7 Likes

The single most important thing to remember about music in general is that it is not a contest. There’s always a bigger fish.

Inspiration, not competition. Like @Barney said.

7 Likes

We certainly can. Lost my live band virginity last night.

5 Likes

Thanks for the shout out @Barney !

3 Likes

Three scientists are observing a house, a physicist, a biologist and a mathematician. Two people walk in, three people walk out of the house. Conclusions:

Physicist: experimental error
Biologist: they proliferated
Mathematician: if one more person goes in, the house will be empty.

6 Likes

Oh, that’s one of the better of the jokes of that form I have heard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well Done @garron.abernathy44

So pleased to hear your confidence is continuing to build. And how cool was it when you experience that moment of " 12 Bars " and you could jump right in.

Dig That!!

Come in on the Boom and We Can ALL Do It ,
Cheers

3 Likes