Well, well, well... how the turn tables

When I first started with Bass Buzz two years ago, I was absolutely not a “Fender guy”. Every Fender I’d played or looked at up to that point just did NOT do it for me in any way. Too heavy, too “thick”, too ubiquitous.

Now I look around and… the only bass I have is a Fender Aerodyne Jazz P/J. My amp is a Fender Rumble 100. All my cables? Fender. My clip-on tuner? Yeah, Fender. Right now, I’m sitting here wearing a Fender hoodie.

Go figure.

10 Likes

Well, well, well indeed. My first few basses back in the days were not Fender. I own Yamaha Motion Bass, Carvin Bunny B, Ken Smith Burner, Tobias Growler, Renegade, and Killer B, and Student model Spector. Look at me now, after Covid things changed, now I own more Fenders than a small music shop, lol.

5 Likes

I am exactly 50% Fender/Squier, 50% all others.
Balance is key, lol.

4 Likes

I started out Fender, but find myself more Fender adjacent now. I own a few FGNs

3 Likes

I started out Fender. Then went Rick. Don’t have any of either anymore.

I’m not a Fender/Squier hater, but I sure ain’t a fan of ‘em. Can’t ever see getting either. Too many others available that get my motor running.

2 Likes

Fender P, Fender J and a Fender PJ here. All bases covered :joy:

5 Likes

Fender Dimension Bass, Fender 51 Bass, Fender Tele Bass, Fender Gold Leaf…

4 Likes

My guitar collection has more Fender than my basses, but if all I had left was my SG and my Stingray, I wouldn’t be disappointed. That said, last night I played out on my MIM strat and brought a Squier 5 for the bass player to use. Go figure.

1 Like

I am right there with you brother. In fact I am probably the poster child for this.

Three years ago: “Why bother with them, overpriced compared to the quality elsewhere.”
Today: main bass is a MIJ Fender P-bass, new guitar is a MIJ Telecaster. Though I do love my two Yamahas just as much, in my defense. But they are pretty awesome Yamahas.

4 Likes

Correct, you need a P and a J. That’s all you need and a rug and this paddle game.

10 Likes

I am perfectly balanced at 50% Fender Japan, 50% Yamaha

2 Likes

Me too. 50% Fender, 50% Squier :joy:

3 Likes

Actually you might also need 1 active pref with a humbucker. So a P a J and 1 active. :sweat_smile:

That’s what my son and I have now.

2 Likes

100% Fender-free… and feeling OK about it :wink:

(Wait, I might have a Fender pick somewhere… :dizzy_face:)

4 Likes

…fender… blah blah blah i can’t hear all of you :hear_no_evil:

4 Likes

I’ve got a Fender Rumble 40 as per Josh’s recommendation, but that’s it for the Big F.

2 Likes

LOL…I was the same about the looks, etc. of Fender Basses, then I bought a Precision Pro II last year and it’s the best bass I have ever played…love it. Now I am contemplating getting an Ultra, don’t need it but keep GASing for it! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I keep looking at the ultra, but have been able dodge the expense for the time being. It helps the I can never get a GC employee to take it down from the top shelf, where it is safe from my greasy fingers. Something about a compound radius that is intriguing :thinking:

3 Likes

Charvels have a compound radius and that’s a sweet, fast neck. But I find a good 14" radius like my FGN or Custom just as good. YMMV

4 Likes

The Charvel neck is amazing.

2 Likes