What About Capo's

I just checked my neck relief using a capo. It was slightly easier, but really it’s not very hard without one.

Tuning down and pretending to have a short scale with one seems like a lot more fun though, might try that later.

2 Likes

The relation is in the whole sentence, not in those 3 words :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It has a completely different sound.
I usually don’t play with a pick tho

2 Likes

Due to the styles I like over time I just started using one more and more. I still play fingerstyle to not get too rusty but mostly I am picking these days.

I kind of gave up on slap, not so much because it is hard (it is), but it doesn’t work into the styles I want to play so much. Love some slap artists though, especially Kiyoshi.

2 Likes

I really like slap too!
I’m practicing from time to time but it’s a bit out of my reach atm :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Much like what you saw with capos and picks, I’ve seen a weird stigma about slap online sometimes too. Like, often when someone demos basses or pedals in a video and doesn’t slap, people thank them for not slapping. It’s weird.

3 Likes

hahaha
There are a lot of people out there!

I also saw a few internet-personas referring to taping as ‘the ultimate technique’

As I said, to each their own.

3 Likes

Playing with a pick or slapping, those are techniques that lend themselves to specific songs or genres, but playing bass with a capo? That’s just plain weird.

1 Like

Not if you’re playing chords :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why do you need a capo to play chords?

1 Like

You don’t always, but it can make playing some chords easier.

In short, it makes key changes with chord work easier.

There’s only one song I play with chords on bass, and it pretty much sticks to two/three string power chords so I don’t really have a use for this, but some people do.

4 Likes

I actually plan to use a capo with my Grabber : the idea is to do a proper setup for Drop-C# (C# G# C# F#) with bigger strings than what I use on Greenie.

… but I don’t always play in Drop-C# …

with a capo on the first fret, I would be able to go back to Drop-D and standard tuning in one second, and get a medium-scale for this. I calculated that it would bring the scale length to 32.55" with the capo.

4 Likes

Old threat re-ignited. What about if you tune to Eb to accommodate the singer, but then want to do the odd song in standard E tuning. A capo on the first fret means you don’t need to re-tune. Is this a decent reason to use a capo or am I missing something?

2 Likes

Nope, that’s a fine reason to use a capo. Make sure to ignore the fret markers though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like a legitimate reason to me. As a bonus, you get to play a little bit higher on the neck, which might be easier if you have smaller hands.

3 Likes

Hey guys, isn’t that a proper thread resurrection ?

:sunglasses:

Tal Wilkenfeld with a capo

(that said, I really don’t like her bass sound here. way too thin for me.)

2 Likes

Well, it’s a J. :rofl:

Ok ok, only joking. You can make a J-Bass Ampeg-glug like a pro. Like here:

Sounds cool downtuned like that.

1 Like

Now I’m hungry. Thanks a lot. :joy:

I use capo from time to time, not to transpose per se but to utilize the open string in the fills. It comes in handy when it’s a perfect tool in the right key. Sometimes it’s when you switch singer make and female and it just happens to be the one I can use the capo without changing the playing pattern.

yeah.

yeah.

actually still sounds like a J but in a good way :joy:

1 Like