What are you struggling with?

That Toast Machine show is a must-watch. So much that I’m going to repost it here :slight_smile:

@Gio blows me away there, and so does the drummer!

I like this for an example to show off bass chords. Peter Hook is super cool here, just handing a fan his bass and then showing him how to play Love Will Tear Us Apart. It’s also fun to play, grab a tab online; basically a power chord plus an octave for a lot of it:

My new favorite youtube-rabbit-hole artist Kiyoshi also does some nice chord work here:

3 Likes

Hehe, @howard’s got a crush :grin:

Re: Toast Machine - to be honest, it is not the kind of music I normally listen to, but I can certainly appreciate it. And to have that kind of stones to get onto a stage with only a drummer and play a full concert, is just amazing!

3 Likes

After contemplating your prior info, I now think I understand those little chord boxes on some printed sheet music. Are these the chords that should be played for the measure it sits above? Are these similar to the chord boxes for guitar.

2 Likes

I think I know what you mean. However, are these boxes on the “master” score or do you have them on the sheets for bass only? In any case, if they show 4 strings, then they are for bass, if they show 6 strings, it is most likely for guitar. What they give you is indeed the chord for that measure (or measures) and a suggested fingering. This is thus an aid, as opposed to just giving a chord symbol, such as, e.g., Gmaj7 or D- or something like this.
If there is no rhythm given along with the box (perhaps in a smaller font (like grace notes) on top of the bar), then it is up to you and you should probably decide according to the style of the tune. I.e., you could strum straight quarter notes, or more in a shuffle style, or - for a ballad - you could choose to play arpeggios :smile:
(Caveat: I never played a string instrument before, and only played the bass for six months now, so I am not super intricately familiar with these chord boxes; I have an inkling, but I guess they could come in different flavors… Maybe you have a screenshot of what it looks like?)

1 Like

Hey @cajarmj61, you can always just start a new thread, either in Gear or Technique if it’s related to one of those things, but if not just stick it in Chat .

Simple version (basically what @joergkutter said):
Arpeggio - single notes, C then E then G = C major (triad) arpeggio
Chord - notes played together, CEG all at once = C major (triad) chord

But in musical context, you might be playing over a “chord progression,” whether the keyboard or guitar is playing chords, and you’re using the corresponding arpeggios to make up bass lines, so sometimes you’ll hear the word “chord” even when you’re not playing one.

An actual “bass chord” is a less common but awesome way of playing, where you actually play multiple notes at once, like @joergkutter said.

And @funplumbin1, I agree with Joe @Jazzbass19, if you just keep trying to listen for it, you’ll get better at it naturally. And listen to music where the bass is featured prominently! It’s harder to pick out if it’s just following the rhythm guitar or something.

4 Likes

+1 to Josh’s clarifications, high fives to all for jumping in and getting nice and chord-y with everything, and big big hugs to y’all for posting Toast Machine again.
Fun, fun stuff.

2 Likes

Haha totally, she’s great. JRock is a fun guilty pleasure. Gonna have to keep my eye out for her gigs.

She also kind of reminds me of Hiromi - I guess it is the petite Japanese female shredding it up on her instrument that makes me draw that comparison :grin: Hiromi is more jazz, but she is really fun to experience live!

PS: Sorry, @JoshFossgreen, we are really off topic now :smile:

1 Like

Man… thanks for reposting the Toast Machine show. It’s fantastic!!

2 Likes

@Gio rocks the house there, and what an awesome drummer too!

2 Likes

Thanks!!

2 Likes

I am still trying to find the best way to hold my acoustic bass. I do have a strap. And at this time, (due to some physical impairments) I need to practice and play sitting down.
Probably just takes time and practice to get the right feel. But, if anyone has an acoustic bass, I’d appreciate some insight as to what worked for you. I am progressing nicely through the course, and maybe I’m just not patient enough to get all the muscles to work as expected. :sunglasses: Thanks. Lo

3 Likes

I’m going through the course using an acoustic. Other than doing what Josh reccomends, it’s just a matter of finding a comfortable position. Can you be more specific about what’s uncomfortable.

Quite a few of us are older and have various health issues. If you can tell us a little more I’m sure someone can make a recommendation.

6 Likes

I can’t offer any suggestions other than a strap and standing, which you say is not an option. This may be an unexpected benefit of an electric bass for a beginner.

I decided that I would take my acoustic to bed so that I could practice there (I go to bed ridiculously early for mostly medical reasons) but I’ve found it almost impossible to hold & play due to the size. IT feels like I need to put velcro on it and my top to stop it slipping away from me.

My next solution will be one of my electric basses and the Zoom pedal & headphones.

2 Likes

Ok, so here’s my solution as “Goldilocks and the Three Chairs”. One chair was too high, one chair was too low, and the third chair was juuuuust right! Moving on in my B2B lessons. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That’s the ticket! . . . :wink:

2 Likes

Good morning everyone for me i struggle with knowing what scale I’m in by ear. I play the piano a little (mostly drums) so if i look over at my organist at church i can see the notes and play ago but sometimes I just don’t know what scale he’s in and just pickup from what I see him doing. Sometimes i just ask him “what key are you in?”

5 Likes

I assure you that you are not alone in this. It’s a tricky thing to learn. I certainly can’t do it and I’ve been playing various instruments for more than 30 years… I tend to look at what the guitarist is playing and try to work it out from that. Or, as you say, just ask.

2 Likes

I am working on Sweet Home Alabama. I am not having trouble at all with my right hand plucking or muting techniques, which is what Josh seems to expect. But I am having real problems fretting the 3rd feet on the E string, then crossing over to the 5th feet with my pinky on the A string and still getting a good position, while at the same time watching the tablature. I guess that I suck at multitasking. So my only solution for now is to play the riff by rote while watching my left fingers. That obviously is not sustainable.

2 Likes

@mazekl53 That’s expected. It’s just part of the learning process. I regularly go back to looking at my fretboard when learning something new. What I’ve found, with more experience, this becomes less and less.

2 Likes