What are you struggling with?

Part of the learning process is hitting up against obstacles, and finding ways around them. Everybody hits obstacles, even the legendary musicians we all admire.

So what are y’all up against right now?

Personally, my main struggle right now is finding a way to integrate a more regular practice routine into my schedule, especially making time for transcribing. Curious if anyone has tricks they use to keep their practice consistent?

I’m having the same problem in relationship to a practice routine. When I sit down to practice I generally just work on tunes for the bands I am in or cram on something I was suppose to work on for my teacher. With the wealth of information out there it’s overwhelming to know where to start.

As I get more proficient at the bass, and the drums, like you, I’m finding it difficult to find a practice routine. There is soooooo much to practice on both instruments, that it’s hard to find a place to start. I sort of have a routine for the drums. Other than going through the lessons here, I’m still trying to find a warmup or practice exercises for the bass.

Tebmeb! This is kind of an ideal place to be.
There is ALWAYS infinitely more things that we need to work on than we can possibly work on. For me, the breakthrough was more in perspective, long-term planning and patience than in organizing a day-to-day schedule.
If you want a very wordy and detailed explanation… read on!

I have had many similar experiences, and I used to have the same concerns - too much to practice, not enough time. One nice way to view it to relieve the pressure and get some perspective is to look long term - it’s a bass season.
It’s a season of performance; Shows/lessons. That season is awesome, because it is high-stakes, the application and pressure is on to deliver, so you’re always working towards a definite goal, and you’ll know right away how you did. It’s a great season where tons of great bass practice and work gets done because it has to.

The best thing I did was to have a little notebook all the time - these little soft-cover Moleskine books fit in your back pocket, and travel easily.
When you’re in a bass-season of playing, and working towards performances or lessons, your own ideas and work can move to a back burner. That’s fine. Every idea - song ideas, transcription ideas, crazy rhythm ideas, desires to learn new techniques, things you want to improve on the instrument - all of it goes into the notebook.

When things slow down, and lessons stop, and there’s more personal time - when you’re in the focused practice - personal goals season, you can go back to working on all the things you saw/noticed/experienced/wanted to work on during that hectic performance season.

Then - when you have a moment, you can check in on the notebook. All the thoughts are there, and you can address it with some time and patience.

So. A lengthy perspective - but something worth trying, maybe? Best of luck in all the playing and practicing!

That’s a great idea. Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a shot!