What are you struggling with?

Well, that didn’t last. Day 2 no brace and agonizing pain started when doing laundry. WTF? Back to the doc and either I had two issues or was mis-diagnosed. MRI #2 in the cards to see if ganglion cysts are the issue (more likely). Last brace for supposed torn ligament was actually making things worse it seems.

This beauty is mine now for 4-6 weeks. Go me!

1 Like

Damn, man. Really sorry to hear that. Hope it heals up sooner than the weeks prescribed.

Looks like you might be able to mouse around for work, right?

2 Likes

Oh, man, what a drag - “wrong” diagnoses (and treatments) are an absolute buzzkill - you’d thought you knew what to do and had a time horizon, and then it’s all back to square one :cry:

Keep it until Halloween and turn it into a sci-fi gizmo/costume (Stargate SG-1 perhaps :joy:)

3 Likes

Yes, but it hurts. The mouse this morning was actually the last straw that made me decide to go back to the doctor. Lots of pain, but I can use it enough to get through the next couple weeks. I’m sure when I injured my hand a few years ago, I did start using my left hand for the mouse, which was quite interesting, but doable.

1 Like

Something in my gut told me the original diagnosis was wrong, but I’m no doctor. I just felt like it wasn’t the right answer, guess I was right after all this diagnosis makes much more sense based on the pain I’m feeling and having something similar in my foot years ago I just be happy with the real diagnosis and a path forward, and a planter never have to go through this again would be nice.

2 Likes

Might want to check out trackballs too, I know people that moved to them with good success.

2 Likes

So what you’re saying is he should buy this?

3 Likes

Best. Trackball. Ever.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. Just go straight to Missile Command.

1 Like

Damn John that is brutal! So sorry you’re struggling with an injury. I tore my shoulder labrum playing baseball when I was 18, and boy do you realize how much you take your body for granted when you can’t use part of it. Hoping you can get the hand trouble sorted out and get back to doing the things you enjoy!

Have you ever thought of playing bass with your feet?

2 Likes

Hand injuries just suck. I’m 30 years in to a software engineering career and count myself very fortunate I have avoided RSI’s. I have given myself hand injuries like them before and they are no bueno at all.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha. Not a chance.

Thanks for the kind words, it indeed sucks

1 Like

I too an having arm issues. For months. My left arm is having issues, wrist, forearm, shoulder. I have seen a doctor and will be having therapy. If there is an opening, which there may not be.

But it is quite painful to play bass and has been. Short scales are okay though I have discovered. Which is why I have picked up a few. I can play them.

In the meantime my beloved long scales are not getting anytime and I may start selling some. Which is almost more painful but they deserve play time too.

Getting old sucks

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that @Wombat-metal and hope you’re pain free soon.

2 Likes

Well, guitar wasn’t originally meant to be played with a pick either :smile: Electric basses have had a pick guard since the late 50s, the pbass got one in the early 70s so they’ve been intended to be played with a pick like an electric guitar for over 60 years.

Here’s a Gibson Mando-bass ca. 1920 played with a pick :slight_smile:

It’s not wrong, especially if you have Lewis Johnson sized hands (sadly i don’t) :slight_smile:

3 years of playing bass and i got what i think is probably my first blister :laughing: playing “The Less I Know the Better” by Tame Impala, over and over for about an hour. Luckily it’s on my ring finger which i hardly ever use :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I can totally believe that. Great tune though, worth it! :joy:

1 Like

Since post I can’t get the song Elephant out of my head and now I’m going to end up learning it. This forum is a dangerous place

1 Like

But you had to leave for work at 5:30.

1 Like