What are you struggling with?

I guessed the point is that maybe you need to slide slower because of such a short scale, but I also guess that then you’ll tend to get more individual notes sounding out. Hmmm.

2 Likes

A short scale length doesn’t affect a player’s ability to do a slide as much as the bass’s string height and string tension, in that order of precedence.

2 Likes

So … string tension I cannot change. But I can set the string height as low as possible…

2 Likes

Are you saying your short scale has higher tension? Generally they have much lower tension to produce the same notes. Increasing scale length increases string tension when you keep the pitch and string gauge constant; this is why people opt for 35"+ for 5-strings and variable scale basses.

Short scale basses can be strung with “High Tension” strings to mitigate the feel difference somewhat but the overall tension is still lower. The only ways to change it are to increase string diameter and/or scale length, or raise the pitch.

Sorry if I misread, just trying to understand.

2 Likes

No worries - they feel definitely more tense on my little 23.46" Blackstar than on the long scale 34" ESP Ltd B-4E.

• The ESP has D’Addario XL strings (165 .045/.065/.085/.105)
  • The Blackstar has custom strings (125/105/85/65)

I also try to understand ^^

2 Likes

Yeah that makes sense, these are much larger strings that subjectively feel like more tension (and may be close to or the same actual tension). It’s a good strategy for shorter scales.

2 Likes

Very little musically because I’m about as good as I’m ever gonna get so I’ll say getting older. :person_in_manual_wheelchair:

3 Likes

Mod 12 almost destroyed my left hand lol. I know that everyone is different but how long did it take you to be able to get your fingers flexible enough to reach comfortably?

2 Likes

I was lucky: I got through Module 12 without a problem. I can see how it could be tough, though. Keep at it. It will definitely get more intuitive and easier on your hands with practice.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’ll get easier, probably take awhile since my hands are not made for finesse

2 Likes

I’ve never summoned The Teacher before, but @JoshFossgreen, I need your help with this. Re: Bach Cello Suite I

I’ve been trying to eat this elephant for around two years now. I hunkered down this week and learned several sections. Then I hit the roadblock highlighted in red. I tried stumbling my way through it, then I watched how you played it in your video and it looks like you barre the 14th fret and play from there. Is that correct? and how do I unlock this skill?

Second question regarding the parts circled in purple. These are all the same notes, but are played in different places. Is this to keep the plucking flow consistent? that 14 to 19 is a bit of a stretch. Anyway, thanks in advance for any insights.

2 Likes

I’m far from knowledgable but that looks to me like a ‘trick’ to maintain a rhythm on the right hand as far as possible. But don’t forget Josh’s spider fingers!

1 Like

I think so too, but that is one heck of a position to get your fretting hand into.
I thought this was going to be the easy part of the song as it is the most repetitive, but I was wrong.

2 Likes

I’m trying to start learning songs by ear, oh boy is it a struggle. I’m also not sure where to go because the idea of doing the “listen to these tones and identity the interval” sounds terribly boring. Maybe I try to do it on some repetitive pop song melodies. Iirc Bitch better have my money has about 3 notes total in the melody :rofl:

1 Like

Whoever said “Hey, lets call the same note a C sharp and D flat and change the notes location on the scale” will forever be my mortal enemy. That’s the main thing that always messes me up while reading sheet music.

2 Likes

I think you will find name and last known address somewhere in this video:

1 Like

It took me about three years of playing bass to get comfortable learning by ear. I learned a few songs here and there along the way, but now I can learn a “normal” song in a few minutes. It used to take me maybe an hour or more of hard concentrated effort. Harder songs still take longer, but it’s not a chore to do. Just keep at it and it will start happening. I still learn some songs by tab, but only if they seem to hard and I don’t want to take the time.

3 Likes

It’s a must have essentials tool to have in your bag especially in 2024.

We are at the era of instant gratification anything at our fingertips more and more people are ignore this fundamental. It’s a perishable skills but you can restore your skills pretty quickly once you get back on the saddle.

2 Likes

The real thing that’s frustrating is that I just never developed it while I was a kid learning music. I did all classical violin/piano stuff from sheet music → memorized for rehearsals only. On violin we kids did some learning melody lines or riffs by ear screwing around before rehearsal, but not trying to figure out chord structure or anything. It’s tough because most of the challenging things like counting, scales, using my pinky, etc. I’m pretty capable of, and then I have very novice skills in this area.

Like you have a modern Honda civic engine, interior, radio etc, and you’re used to drinking a modern car - except the brakes/steering is from a model T so you have to drive like the car has barely been invented. The temptation to just read tabs/music because it’s easier is strong.

2 Likes

I haven’t got anywhere near the ear training/transcribing part of B2B yet lol, but I can hear enough playing tab that a note is sometimes not right, and “occasionally” find what sounds more appropriate, this mean I’m learning without even realising it? :eyes: Lol

3 Likes